Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Adult Dancers

Ballet - Adult Dancers
Trying to pick the right ballet shoes
By Balletat28 Comments: 2, member since Sun Jan 15, 2017
On Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:13 PM

I am 28 years old and starting ballet for the first time. My biggest questions is how do I puck the right ballet flats for my feet? I wear a size 6.5 shoe and I am flat footed with very low to no arch. Is there a certain brand or style I should get? Thanks for any advice given๐Ÿ˜Š

5 Replies to Trying to pick the right ballet shoes

re: Trying to pick the right ballet shoes
By S_H_A_O_ Comments: 234, member since Sun Apr 21, 2013
On Sun Jan 15, 2017 01:08 PM
For flat shoes it's really a matter of preference. Unlike pointe shoes flat shoes don't require a certain "strength". I would go to a local danc estore and just try some on. The great thing about flat shoes is that many different brands work for many different types of feet. My personal preference is the Grishko Performance shoe which can be bough on Discount Dance Supply. Hope this helps and good luck!
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Mon Jan 16, 2017 02:41 PM
For flat shoes it's more the shape of the foot than the instep and arch that makes the difference. If you have wider feet or are wider across the balls of the foot then Shansha and Chacott do a nice canvas flat.

The other thing to think about is what sort of floor are you using these shoes on. Canvas will work very nicely on a marley style dance floor and last reasonably well but won't last very long on wooden floors.
By netmum Comments: 478, member since Sun Jul 02, 2006
On Wed Jan 18, 2017 05:10 AM
I absolutely agree. You need to find a dance shop which as many different brands as possible, then find the ones that fit you best.

Some teachers don't like split sole for beginners so maybe check with your teacher.

Comment #10244401 deleted
Removed by hummingbird (128773) on 2017-01-18 14:25:06 Delete!

By Balletat28 Comments: 2, member since Sun Jan 15, 2017
On Wed Jan 18, 2017 09:49 PM
Thanks for all the help!๐Ÿ˜€

ReplySendWatch