Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

Bolshoi Ballet Academy Scholarship
By ILoveBallet22
On Sun Jan 15, 2017 03:04 PM

I would really,really,REALLY LOVE TO GO TO BOLSHOI BALLET SUMMER INTENSIVE!!!!My parents won't let me try because its to expensive. I am still going to audition and I'm hoping to get a scholarship....

Has anyone been to this intensive? Has anyone gotten a scholarship... How much do they give you for a scholarship? Is the intensive hard? I'm pretty sure I can get in. I am really good expect I can barely do a single pirouette (IT'S REALLY BAD) and I can't do any splits. Does anyone know their acceptance rate?

If any people have been their tell me your whole experience if you can! You can PM me!! Thank you all so much!!

13 Replies to Bolshoi Ballet Academy Scholarship

re: Bolshoi Ballet Academy Scholarship
By dncermama
On Sun Jan 15, 2017 07:32 PM
How old are you? Bolshoi gives out scholarships but not 100%. To be honest, they like flexible dancers and I think you should be able to do a pirouette to be accepted. It all depends on your age though.
By ballerina7373
On Mon Jan 16, 2017 08:50 AM
Not trying to be discouraging, but Bolshoi is very Vaganova so they love flexible dancers. If you can't do a split I doubt you'll get in let alone get a scholarship. However, if you are still young and have a very nice facility you may still get in. Bolshoi is not super competitive, but it is a good school. I've never auditioned there, but my friend who I attended the Harid Conservatory with was accepted with no scholarship and she is very flexible, good at turning, good jumper, perfect body, all around solid dancer. Merde at your audition!
By ILoveBallet22
On Mon Jan 16, 2017 09:44 AM
I train at a super vaganova school, so I know what you mean. I can turn from 4th, but not fifth. No way can I do a double. If I'm warm and stretched out, I can do my right splits. And I can barely do my left. I have a dancers body and beautiful turnout. My feet are very archy , and I have ggood extension. I am 12. I just started doing pointe in October. So I'm not taking my first arabesque photo on pointe. My strengths are jumps, and Adagio. My weaknesses are turns and flexibility. Thanks for your advice. Let me know what you think!
By ballerina7373
On Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:19 AM
You may have a chance based on body type, however, I think the flexibility and turning could be a hindrance to your acceptance.
By dncermama
On Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:33 PM
I don't think you will be required to do the splits during audition so they won't know you lack that flexibility particularly since you say you have good extension. Based on what you mentioned about your age and your facilities, I would guess that you could be accepted. I wouldn't count on a scholarship though, as those are rarely given. Merde for the audition.
By scoutg
On Mon Jan 16, 2017 04:16 PM
Hi! I've never attended the Bolshoi summer program, but my best friend did when we were 11 and 12 and recieved a partial merit scholarship both years. To give you reference, my friend had the perfect ballet body with very long legs but terrible feet. Her strengths were flexibility (especially back flexibility and arabesques) and turns and she had been on pointe since she was nine. She was also invited to attend the Bolshoi academy in Russia with a partial scholarship. She received full scholarships to SAB, The Rock School, and Houston Ballet in the following years. The fact that she only received a partial scholarship to Bolshoi means that they're more stingy with the scholarships than the other schools which she received full scholarships to.
By ILoveBallet22
On Tue Jan 17, 2017 09:44 AM
has any one o f you auditioned there? If I don't have to do the splits, that would be awesome! I would probably get in. I have been working super hard on my piroutte and I can get a solid single! The reason why I can't turn is because I have inner ear and balanece iisues. aka vertigo I am pretty much over it but I still can't turn! thank you so much!
By ILoveBallet22
On Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:55 AM
I am auditioning for the one in CT.... BTW
By Balletomane2017
On Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:22 PM
My daughter recently auditioned for Bolshoi-CT in the 12-14 age group and they were asked to do all three splits - right, left and middle. In the right and left splits they just had the girls sit in them/hold them. During the middle splits, the students were asked to stretch over towards the ground - tummy to the ground if they could. Out of about 35 girls there were 5-6 students that could put their stomachs flat on the ground.

As far as pirouettes - on flat they asked students to do a double or 'as many as you can' in some instances and en pointe they requested a single or a double.

However, if you don't audition you won't know so I would audition. As far as scholarships go, the bulk of their scholarships are given out at YAGP finals - it mentions this on the BBASI website.
By hummingbird
On Wed Jan 18, 2017 01:25 PM
Edited by hummingbird (128773) on 2017-01-18 14:23:20 That makes a bit more sense!
scoutg wrote:

She received full scholarships to SAB, The Rock School, and Houston Ballet in the following years. The fact that she only received a partial scholarship to Bolshoi means that they're more stingy with the scholarships than the other schools which she received full scholarships to.

It could just mean that she had improved in the following years and was at the stage where intensives were willing to give her full scholarships or that their criteria for scholars is different or that they had reached their quota for that year,not just that Bolshoi is stingy
By ILoveBallet22
On Wed Jan 18, 2017 03:38 PM
I can't do pirouttes on pointe since I just started.I can only do singles. I don't think I can get in Now.....

ReplySendWatch