Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

help!!my first audition!!
By ILoveBallet22
On Sun Jan 15, 2017 03:36 PM

I am having my first two auditions in the next few weeks. I am really nervous because I have never had an audition before! I am really afraid that I'll something dumb like curtsying and saying thank you to the auditioner! I do that in my class and I think it's a good thing to do. Is that correct etiquette? Can you bring water bottles into the class? Can you wear a wrap skirt? If my leotard is falling down, can I use my hand to put it back together? Can somebody tell me a list of etiquette rules on how to ace your audition? Thank you so much!

4 Replies to help!!my first audition!!

re: help!!my first audition!!
By ILoveBallet22
On Sun Jan 15, 2017 04:09 PM
I forgot to mention does any of you have advice for headshot and first arabesque photos?
By ballerina7373
On Mon Jan 16, 2017 08:54 AM
Merde for your audition!! Definitely curtsy and say thank you to the instructor and the pianist as well that is a sign of common courtesy :) Water bottles are sometimes fine, it depends on the audition. I would definitely not wear a wrap skirt. Check the school's dress code thoroughly before the audition. It's fine to fix your leotard but obviously not during a combination. Hope that helps!
By ILoveBallet22
On Tue Jan 17, 2017 08:58 AM
THanks! Are there any other do's and don'ts of ballet etiquette that I need to know? I'm afraid I'll do something unproffesional!
By DanceHeart99member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jan 18, 2017 05:21 PM
One thing to do if you're nervous is to follow the lead of the other dancers. Every audition is different, so be prepared with everything you might need. Bring a water bottle and wrap skirt and if you notice the other dancers using them, it will probably be safe to do the same. Also, look on the website for details as they often have rules for attire.

For the headshot, it should be clear photo of your face that doesn't have a lot of distractions. A quick google search for example dance head shots can give you ideas. I'm not sure about the arabesque photo because I've never had to take one.

ReplySendWatch