Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

Are corrections at an audition a good thing?
By ballerina7373
On Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:23 AM
Edited by ballerina7373 (278975) on 2017-01-18 10:23:56

At my summer intensive audition for PNB the teachers would watch me a lot and correct me often followed by "good, nice job, etc." At one point they stopped the class and worked with me individually. Is this a good thing or not?

9 Replies to Are corrections at an audition a good thing?

re: Are corrections at an audition a good thing?
By hummingbird
On Wed Jan 18, 2017 01:18 PM
Without being there it's difficult to know but I would say yes, they were interested enough to try and fix things and you showed that you're able to respond quickly to corrections, that's what it sounds like.

Just out of interest what sort of corrections were you given?
By ballerina7373
On Wed Jan 18, 2017 02:30 PM
At barre she said"hold the accent in more" and so I did to which she responded "yes very good!" In the center at one part she said "number 4 put your arms a little lower in en bas. Yes good!" Then I did a nice triple in a turning combination and she said "Wow! Very nice!" She would often smile at me which was encouraging and I could tell she was watching me, but I wasn't sure if it was positive attention or not 😂 During one part she corrected another girl and then said "Number 4 will you please demonstrate it." (It was an achappe (sp?) and passé combination). She worked with me for a while and said "This is a simple step, yet making it perfect is very hard!" She said "good" several times and nodded, so I think that was a good sign :) I really hope I get in! PNB is one of my dream schools 😍

Comment #10244403 deleted
Removed by hummingbird (128773) on 2017-01-18 14:32:45 Delete!

By hummingbird
On Wed Jan 18, 2017 02:34 PM
It certainly sounds positive, good luck and let us know how it all goes when you get the results won't you.
By ballerina7373
On Wed Jan 18, 2017 02:36 PM
Thank you! I'm not used to getting corrections at auditions. Is this pretty commonplace? I will definitely let you know when I find out the results :)
By hummingbird
On Thu Jan 19, 2017 09:03 AM
It depends on the audition and the person giving it. The first one I had the panel sat and watched without saying anything and the teacher set the exercises as she stood by the piano, she didn't move round the room at all. I've also had auditions where the teacher moved round the room and actually taught rather than just telling us what to do, I think this is way better because you get to see how people respond to the corrections and if they're implemented at all.
By ballerina7373
On Sat Jan 21, 2017 07:23 PM
I found out I got into PNB level VI which I think is pretty high since I'm only 14. Im
so excited!!
By hummingbird
On Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:20 PM
Sweet! Well done you!

ReplySendWatch