Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

Ballet Intensives
Looking for recomendations for a Summer Intensive or workshop for an 11 year old student...
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:02 PM

I took an adorable little 11 year old girl (soon to be 12, not en pointe yet)to New York to audition for the ABT Ballet intensive the weekend before last.

I prepared her for the fact that;

1)Spaces are limited

2)Many of the students auditioning may be ABT students and therefore more prepared than she might be, regardless of her "heart". Some may have already attended summer intensives, and some at ABT.

3)Many of the students auditioning may take class everyday from teachers infinitely more qualified than hers...(her teacher is fine, but no professional experience or credentials, and we are a recreational studio, not a ballet academy, and she takes a mix of classes...ballet, tap, jazz, not exclusively ballet)

4)it is just a wonderful experience to attend such an audition, have the experience of dancing at the ABT studios in New York, and be in class with other students who share her level of intelligence, commitment, and frankly....class....which is sorely missing in our part of the world.

On the ride down in the car, she repeated these things to me on her own...she was excited for the experience, but didn't expect to "make it". We discussed the value of summer intensives/workshops, and agreed that she would be more prepared to audition for others, having had the ABT experience.

Welllllllllll

After the audition, she was soooooooo excited and actually hopeful. At one point on the ride home she told me, "When the other groups 'went' the teacher just said, 'Next', but after we went she said, 'Lovely'. If I make it, will we drive in every day? Or will I stay at ______(a relative who lives in New York)? She felt so good about the audition, she was starting to believe she might be accepted.

I got the "rejection" e mail yesterday. I haven't had the heart to share it with her.

Sooooooooo.... I am hoping I can find another program for her, that will take the sting out of the disappointment.

Suggestions?

I suspect I might be more heartbroken for her than she will be for herself.

I am willing to take her wherever she needs to go if it will help her learn and grow. Her mom died a few years ago and her dad is a sweetheart who will do absolutely anything for her, but he has his hands very full raising the kids all alone so I am more than willing to help out.

Please guide me, Dear Ones.

xoxo

Keep On Dancing*

7 Replies to Looking for recomendations for a Summer Intensive or workshop for an 11 year old student...

re: Looking for recomendations for a Summer Intensive or workshop for an 11 year old student... (karma: 1)
By scoutg Comments: 20, member since Tue Jan 03, 2017
On Fri Jan 20, 2017 07:47 PM
I would reccomend cpyb! It's a 5 week program in Pennsylvania and it especially great for younger dancers.
re: Looking for recomendations for a Summer Intensive or workshop for an 11 year old student...
By dncermama Comments: 49, member since Fri Feb 04, 2011
On Sat Jan 21, 2017 06:22 PM
Bolshoi in NYC and ABT have young dancer programs they offer in NYC. Not sure if you missed the auditions near you. Worth looking into though.
re: Looking for recomendations for a Summer Intensive or workshop for an 11 year old student...
By bambiballerina Comments: 13, member since Fri Jan 29, 2016
On Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:31 AM
I would most definitely recommend CPYB. I've heard nothing but good things about the program, and everyone I've talked to that has attended says they improved tremendously. No audition is required, just submitting the required photos, and no one is rejected from the program.
By melissaga Comments: 323, member since Sun Feb 14, 2010
On Wed Feb 15, 2017 01:01 AM
There may very well be local programs for her as well as these bigger name, better known programs. A local program may have a level or at least be able to work with a dancer who does not have quite enough ballet training at her age. Check with the ballet schools in your general area.
By so_devine Comments: 5, member since Thu Feb 16, 2017
On Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:34 AM
Burklyn Ballet Theatre in Vermont has an Intermediate Program for that age which is really great! Here's a link: burklynballet.com . . .
By senseiac Comments: 1, member since Wed Apr 12, 2017
On Wed Apr 12, 2017 09:42 PM

I highly recommend Eglevsky Ballet in Bethpage Long Island. My daughter went their last year and she absolutely loved it. Let me know if you have any questions.
EglevskyBallet.org
By OlgaMagranova Comments: 3, member since Mon Aug 22, 2016
On Sun May 21, 2017 08:27 AM
We will be happy to see your daughter in our summer intensive!
Please visit cbtusa.org
409-795-9347

ReplySendWatch