Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

PNB Summer Intensive: Will I Get In??
By dragon_dancer
On Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:16 PM

Hi!

So recently (on January 21st) I auditioned for PNB SI in Houston. I'm 12 years old, practically 13, and I consider myself to be above average (modest, I know.) My body type is kind of curvy, but not drastically. I have very long legs and arms, my torso is a bit short, I have very arched feet, and a rather muscular butt and build overall. In the audition there were about 20 people, all female, and I'd say about half were not as good as me. (Wow this is just really modest.) I was pretty confident of the audition and I thought it was a good class. Here are my questions:

-Straight off the bat, do you think I have a chance at being accepted?
-Secondly, what did everyone think about PNB if they went one summer?
-Does it matter that I am not trained in Balanchine? I have Russian American technique.
-Did you get in. Describe why or why not please.
-Lastly, if I were to get in, what level would I be put in?

Thanks so much!!

~dragon_dancer

3 Replies to PNB Summer Intensive: Will I Get In??

re: PNB Summer Intensive: Will I Get In??
By scoutg
On Fri Jan 27, 2017 01:13 PM
I attended pnb last summer, I was 14 and I received a full scholarship. I also received a full scholarship when I was 13, but wasn't allowed to go so far from home. I think, if you were the best at your audition, you probably have a good chance of getting in! But, sometimes, no one at an audition is accepted, so if i were you, i would remain hopeful but not be upset if you're not accepted. Usually, 12-13 year olds would be in level 4 or 5 during the summer, to give you an idea. When you get an acceptance letter, they give you the level you'll be in as well.
I think I was accepted because I am a very strong (muscular) dancer with nice feet and I work very hard (it shows in class , even an audition , how hard you work). I also think it just depends on whether the instructor likes you. I don't think your training matters, as there are many dancers from various backgrounds. I, personally, have had Balanchine experience because I went to CPYB and SAB in summers before I went to PNB. Pnb was one of my favorite summers! Seattle is an amazing city and pnb is my favorite American company, Id love to go there some day as a professional. Good luck!!
By dragon_dancer
On Fri Jan 27, 2017 02:06 PM
Thanks so much! This helped a lot. I feel much more confident now and your advice was great!!

Thanks~
By scoutg
On Fri Jan 27, 2017 03:10 PM
I attended pnb last summer, I was 14 and I received a full scholarship. I also received a full scholarship when I was 13, but wasn't allowed to go so far from home. I think, if you were the best at your audition, you probably have a good chance of getting in! But, sometimes, no one at an audition is accepted, so if i were you, i would remain hopeful but not be upset if you're not accepted. Usually, 12-13 year olds would be in level 4 or 5 during the summer, to give you an idea. When you get an acceptance letter, they give you the level you'll be in as well.
I think I was accepted because I am a very strong (muscular) dancer with nice feet and I work very hard (it shows in class , even an audition , how hard you work). I also think it just depends on whether the instructor likes you. I don't think your training matters, as there are many dancers from various backgrounds. I, personally, have had Balanchine experience because I went to CPYB and SAB in summers before I went to PNB. Pnb was one of my favorite summers! Seattle is an amazing city and pnb is my favorite American company, Id love to go there some day as a professional. Good luck!!

ReplySendWatch