Forum: Highland / Highland - Costumes

Highland - Costumes
Help! Ordered aboyne outfit online and have not recieved it!
By Claramel Comments: 35, member since Tue Oct 13, 2015
On Sat Jan 28, 2017 03:07 PM

It's been nearly two years since I ordered an aboyne costume from Karen of Karen's kilts.

I've emailed her so many times and even sent a Facebook message and still have no outfit. The responses I've received have averaged about one response to every three emails I've sent and now I haven't heard from her in about three months!

After the first year of waiting Karen told me the post office had lost the parcel (I was never given any tracking number or confirmation it was sent). I've never had a parcel go missing before even though I'm in Australia and its a long distance. She said she would make another costume to replace the one that went missing and kept the $600 I'd paid for the original one. We discussed what tartan I'd like and she sent pictures of the tartan.

Since then I haven't heard from her and she won't respond to any new emails I sent.

What should I do?

15 Replies to Help! Ordered aboyne outfit online and have not recieved it!

re: Help! Ordered aboyne outfit online and have not recieved it!
By cocacolakid Comments: 93, member since Sat Mar 17, 2007
On Sun Jan 29, 2017 07:41 AM
This is horrible! Gives a bad name to all the good vendors out there.
Your not the only one. I have heard of problems of other dancers ordering from Karen. A couple of mom's in my nieces dance school decided to buy from her. One waited almost a year (355 days) from when she paid her. By the time she got the outfit, her daughter had already grown so much that it was not going to fit. The longest I have ever had to wait for any outfit was a kilt made for me. I choose an obscure tartan. I bought from Creative Designs, and they emailed all the info on the timeframe (because it was a weaving delay), would only accept 50% deposit and emailed me every time they got an update from mill, when the fabric shipped, until the kilt was done and being shipped.
What Karen is doing is not the normal way or the way a good highland business is handled.
I will being driving my nieces to dance lessons this week, and will ask if anyone has more contact info for you. Hopefully this will help you get a full refund.
By keltsmama Comments: 16, member since Fri Jun 24, 2016
On Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:46 AM
Good Morning,
I felt compelled to make a comment as well. I ordered a jig costume from Karen. I paid for it immediately, at the time of order. She promised it for an intended date. That date came and went, and so did the competition it was intended for. I emailed Karen, and she gave another date that it would be shipped. That date also came and went. I emailed again, this time, I said that I would be contacting MasterCard to have the payment reversed because I had not received the order, and I would like to cancel the order. She assured me that she sent it by courier and it was arriving the next day. It did NOT arrive the next day (another competition day), and we had to leave home without the costume again! The jig costume finally arrived over the next day, but we were out of town, at the competition, and could not use it.
To her credit, Karen sews beautiful costumes. The business practices are terrible. We all are aware that many of these young dancers grow quickly, and we cannot be waiting and waiting for costumes that will no longer fit. It is also completely unacceptable to ignore inquiring emails about orders that are missing or late.
I quite certain that this is the the 3rd complaint letter I have read about this costume maker. My tale of woe, would be the fourth in the last year or so.
I am hoping that Karen reads this herself, and sees all the very unsatisfied customers that she is losing.
On Sun Jan 29, 2017 02:01 PM
Thanks for responding ....I was starting to worry that I was the only one!

I sent another Facebook message to Karen after posting here. She responded a few hours later saying she's been off sick and had surgery for cancer. She also said she would go to the bank to transfer the money back. Will keep this thread updated with that.

Her outfits look so beautiful and I really wanted one for myself (my aboyne is falling apart). It was so disappointing to see new photos of outfits posted while I hadnt received my own :(

I hope the refund comes through!
By LeahWinker Comments: 2, member since Sun Jan 29, 2017
On Sun Jan 29, 2017 07:12 PM
Edited by LeahWinker (279608) on 2017-01-29 19:18:38 Reread post and found errors.
Edited by LeahWinker (279608) on 2017-01-29 19:19:35 Editing again.
STOP! ASK FOR A REFUND! GIVE UP!

I have used KAREN'S KILTS twice and would NEVER use her again.

The first time was perfect. Beautiful costume and one time which was good as Santa was bringing it.

I decided to order four new costumes - highland, national, jig, and hornpipe. All ordered in February of last year and was promised them by April. By November, I was left with 2.5 costumes.

I emailed over and over and was promised and promised.

In the end, I received a partial refund. Not enough in my mind but a least I knew where I stood. She does make beautiful costumes but her ethics leave a lot to be desired.

I was told she was in the hospital twice.

A package was also lost in the mail and there was never a tracking number provided.

There was also a complaint against her on a highland dancing Facebook page. She thought that I had complained, it was not me but another unhappy client. She said I sent her measurements that were too small. That wasn't the case, she just waited 10 months to make a costume and my 12 year old daughter had grown. There were many other complaints too. She has since been banned from offering her wears there.

At last check, my daughter's national was on her Facebook page. We only ever received the skirt and plaid. The vest was too small when we received it.

I was going to complain to the Better Business Bureau but she isn't registered.

She takes orders for new costumes even when she hasn't made yours. I also heard she sews for Ontario Premiers before she completes anything else.

GIVE UP, CUT YOUR LOSSES, AND GET A REFUND.
By highland_dancer5 Comments: 217, member since Mon Mar 10, 2014
On Sun Jan 29, 2017 08:00 PM
I got my aboyne from her about two years ago, beautifully done. We ordered it sometime in November of 2014 and received it February 2015, I don't know if this is the normal time frame or not for most costume makers. It was hard to get in contact with her, and like the original poster said, we would get about 1 response for every three emails. Also she told us at one point that the vest would take around two more days and it ended up being around three more weeks. Although her work is very well done, I feel like priority is given to the Ontario reps and the more "well known" dancers.
On Mon Jan 30, 2017 07:02 AM
I mentioned this post to my sister ( my nieces' dance mom). She just sighed. Apparently, there is another post on this form posted a couple of years ago with the same issue. Karen's business practices have been in question for years. Once the money is recieved the order is forgotten. And ,according to a couple of Ontario champions, being a champion doesn't help, but living close enough to show up at her house can make a difference.
My sister jogged my memory, telling me that we had met Karen at a competition in Burlington. While other vendors had setup tables, paid the vendor fee, she just popped in, and wandered around, showing tartan, and getting orders. I do not remember meeting her, but my sister does, and was not happy about it.
Someone asked how long it should take for an outfit. It depends on if your outfit will use tartan, and from what mill. Honest vendors will try to give accurate time frames, answer your email, and if an fitted order is to be delayed, will request 'fresh' measurements. I have found a vendor I am happy with, and will not jump to a 'new' person. My vendor has an online store and answers emails within 24 hours.
I think the important message I am reading here, is SHARE---when you have had your hard earned dollars taken by any dishonest business (in this case--person), you post complaints. So share your story with the dancing world. Lets help others before they lose money to this person.
By highland_dancer5 Comments: 217, member since Mon Mar 10, 2014
On Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:22 AM
@cocacolakid would you mind telling me the new vendor that you like? I'm in the process of trying to get new outfits made and I need some suggestions, thanks!
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member Comments: 8820, member since Sun Sep 12, 2004
On Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:06 AM
There is a Karen's Kilts in Canada, that a friend of mine had used, as our local shop's owner had retired.

Is this the same Karen's Kilts?

I went to the website, and saw the following:
" Shipping

I cannot guarantee delivery dates, although I do my best to accommodate your timeframe. Once shipped, your package has been put in the hands of a third party that is responsible for the safe arrival of your goods. I will not assume any liabilities due to missed delivery dates or lost items caused by a third party transporting agent.

also
All pricing is in Canadian funds.

Please plan ahead, and allow 12-16 weeks for your order.

I note our website on her links: www.karenskilts.com . . .

her Twitter: twitter.com . . . not really used a lot.

I do not condone her not being in contact. But, looks as if once the outfit is ready for shipping, it seems to go off of the map.

So, I wonder, if her outfits are really a labor of love:

?? Would she allow the customer to select their own shipping method?

?? Would it be prudent to cut payments in half -- 1 half down, the rest payable when the outfit has been RECEIVED as both parties have agreed upon?

?? Maybe contact the appropriate better business bureau for her area? www.google.com . . .
and leave a complaint

?? Maybe leave feedback through Yelp.

I'm so sorry that you didn't get the costume! Is there any way you can do a stop payment?
On Mon Jan 30, 2017 01:17 PM
They are not new, been around 25 years---but I have had great service over the past years. They are Creative Designs from Ontario Canada. creativedesigns2100.com. I have bought many things from them, and have learned if there is something I want to buy, but not sure what size or colour-- or just questions, I just email them. They answer. One year, when my oldest niece was still in beginner, she convinced me she really needed new jig shoes. Since I was still new to all this stuff, I email creative designs and asked how to size the shoes. Instead of just telling me what size, they asked when she would be starting intermediate, and explained if I bought them too soon, she may grow out of them. Explaining that beginners do not do the jig, so I may want to check with the dance teacher. I did not buy the shoes--well, not that year. But, I was so pleased about their honesty--telling me to not spend money. I have been buying stuff from them every since.
A couple of years ago, they provided me with the cutest teddy bears dressed in aboyne outfit. Made me the favourite aunt! yikes--just realized that the girls have been dancing for 8 years!
Sorry, rambling on today. This is what happens when you've got a bad cold and can't go to work. Nap time.
By KirstenLeeSmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 779, member since Sun Mar 13, 2005
On Mon Jan 30, 2017 06:16 PM
RE: Creative Designs, Bill and Cheryl are the owners and they are GREAT to deal with and just wonderful people all aroiund:)
On Mon Jan 30, 2017 06:34 PM
Good Evening.
Wow, YES this is the same Karen's Kilts business in Ontario, Canada. I'm sorry, but WHO cannot give at least an estimate time frame of delivery for the product that was ordered? That is NOT acceptable. I live in British Columbia, and I will NEVER order from her business again. My Scottish heart aches for the dancer and dance Mama that is out $600 and 2 years of grief!
By LeahWinker Comments: 2, member since Sun Jan 29, 2017
On Mon Jan 30, 2017 08:57 PM
I am sorry but t I strongly suspect that Karen's Kilts does not mail the missing parcels. If she did, tracking numbers would be provided. She said the same thing to me. She told me that she would send it purolator as soon as she received it. I received it fairly quickly but the interesting thing I noticed was that there was no Canada Post stuff on the parcel, it was in a brand new purolator box.

On the other complaint feed, there were numerous people who were given the lost parcel story. I can't believe that one person has this much trouble with Canada Post.
On Tue Jan 31, 2017 03:11 PM
UPDATE: I got my money back finally!!!

After sending the Facebook message and emails I sent a PayPal request for the money and it came through today.

Anyone else who has been in my position I urge you to do the same. The good thing about Facebook is if you don't get a response with a private message you can post publicly and people generally don't like anything negative said about them on their page.
On Tue Jan 31, 2017 04:20 PM
Wonderful---I am so glad to hear you finally got YOUR money back. I hope that this will put Karen Fyfe on notice to stop such dishonest behaviours.
On Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:07 AM
AWESOME!!
I am so glad to hear that his situation was made right!

ReplySendWatch