Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Pointe - General
advise? I have to quit ballet for a while!
By autumndancer11 Comments: 37, member since Tue Jun 10, 2014
On Mon Jan 30, 2017 02:42 PM

so, i've been dancing for 3 years, with 3 ballet/pointe classes a week, and now i have to stop taking classes for a while(money issue)... How can I train at home, and what about pointe? I just started pointe last year and I don't want to lose technique.. should I stop dancing on pointe? btw, it might be up to 6-10 months of no classes. I'm devastated because ballet is a huge part of my life! any tips or advise will help a lot, thanks in advance!

2 Replies to advise? I have to quit ballet for a while!

re: advise? I have to quit ballet for a while!
By Lb54321 Comments: 24, member since Mon Aug 29, 2016
On Tue Jan 31, 2017 02:01 PM
This is hard, but as someone who can relate, these are my suggestions.
Use this time as if you were recovering from an injury. Start cross training...do pilates at home and add aerobic exercises to help keep you fit and to help increase endurance.
Watch ballet videos of top ballet schools. This one actually helps a lot, you begin to notice how to be placed etc.
Keep doing barre work. If you have a mirror at your house to correct yourself great, if not, you can film yourself and watch it for corrections.
I do not recommend pointe work for you because you did it for only a short time. It really wouldn't be that safe. One thing that you can do though (in pointe shoes) are rises and releves to help maintain and build strength until you can back to dance. I hope everything goes well for you!

P.S. You may also consider sending an audition video to summer intensive sites to see if anyone would offer you financial aid or even a full scholarship.
re: advise? I have to quit ballet for a while!
By CinderEmma Comments: 135, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Sat Feb 04, 2017 05:22 AM
I agree with everything that Lb54321 said, especially the part about not dancing en pointe. I had quit ballet after eight years of it, and I continued to dance en pointe on my own for ten years. I ended up accumulating minor damage to my ankles and feet to the point that I will never be as good en pointe as I would have been had I not accumulated that damage.

But DEFINATELY keep dancing all the other stuff! It's just like they say for a lot of things: use it or lose it!

ReplySendWatch