Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

Ballet Intensives
Conflicted About SI Waitlists
By Ballerina_Grace1 Comments: 7, member since Tue Jan 31, 2017
On Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:12 AM

Okay, so I was waitlisted for PNB level VI, wailisted for Miami, accepted to Boston Ballet Newton, and rejected from SAB. This is my first year auditioning, and only my second year receiving pre-professional training. I am fifteen years old. All of my teachers said that it was great to be waitlisted on my first year auditioning, because people may be reluctant to take someone into a higher level for their first time. Today is the last day to say yes to Boston, but I've decided against it, because they would automatically begin charging tuition. We did some digging and found out that the PNB waitlist is only less than ten people long, and everyone on it last year was accepted. Also, one of my teachers said that they accept alphabetically, and my last name starts with E. I think I may have a chance with PNB, but I know I shouldn't get my hopes up. Do I have a chance of getting in?

6 Replies to Conflicted About SI Waitlists

re: Conflicted About SI Waitlists
By ballerina7373 Comments: 23, member since Wed Jan 11, 2017
On Fri Feb 03, 2017 01:24 PM
I'm going to PNB this summer level VI and if you end up going (which if there's only 10 people on the waitlist I'm pretty sure you'll get off of it) that would be awesome! :) Getting into and getting waitlisted for all of those great schools after just 2 years of training is amazing! I'm sure you're a great dancer!!
By S_H_A_O_ Comments: 234, member since Sun Apr 21, 2013
On Tue Feb 07, 2017 07:54 AM
I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, but I was waitlisted when I was 14 for level V and I was never accepted. Of course I'm not sure how close I was to getting off the waitlist, but that was just my personal experience. I'm sure there are definitely people though every year who are waitlisted and eventually accepted that year.
By melissaga Comments: 323, member since Sun Feb 14, 2010
On Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:48 AM
"We did some digging and found out that the PNB waitlist is only less than ten people long, and everyone on it last year was accepted. Also, one of my teachers said that they accept alphabetically, and my last name starts with E."

Unless you heard this information directly from PNB THIS year, it is not necessarily accurate. If it is possible, I would call them and inquire. I would also have a back up plan.

My daughter was also waitlisted to PNB one year (I do not recall the level) and never got in.
By Ballerina_Grace1 Comments: 7, member since Tue Jan 31, 2017
On Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:36 PM
Edited by Ballerina_Grace1 (279674) on 2017-02-22 23:37:08
Update: I was accepted into Miami Level VI and I will be attending. I am really excited and I have had friends who went there and improved tremendously and loved it! I didn't get off the PNB waitlist this year, but maybe next year. Thank you everyone for your input!
By S_H_A_O_ Comments: 234, member since Sun Apr 21, 2013
On Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:32 AM
Congrats and don't give up about PNB. I found this out after I wrote my previous response but I was actually accepted into PNB after being rejected last year and waitlisted the year before, so you never know!
By PNB_Dave Comments: 374, member since Mon Mar 04, 2002
On Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:36 PM
melissaga wrote:

"We did some digging and found out that the PNB waitlist is only less than ten people long, and everyone on it last year was accepted. Also, one of my teachers said that they accept alphabetically, and my last name starts with E."

Unless you heard this information directly from PNB THIS year, it is not necessarily accurate.

melissaga is correct. Although it varies from year to year, I'm pretty sure I remember that we were not able to accept everyone off our waiting list last year. But we DEFINITELY do not accept alphabetically, and never have. The ballet world is full of misinformation and rumors, so be careful what you accept as fact.

Miami is a terrific program and I'm sure you'll have a great time and improve a lot. Maybe we'll see you in Seattle next year!

ReplySendWatch