Forum: Highland / Highland - Costumes

Highland - Costumes
Socks vs Nylons for Nationals
By Star77member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2018, member since Fri Jul 23, 2004
On Sun Feb 05, 2017 07:41 PM

Looking to hear from teachers and judges...

At what age/level would you say it is inappropriate for a dancer to wear white ankle socks for National dances?

I suspect I am about to be in a battle with a 12 year old new Intermediate about ditching the ankle socks and I would love some other opinions to back me up ;)

7 Replies to Socks vs Nylons for Nationals

re: Socks vs Nylons for Nationals
By Bril Comments: 152, member since Thu Mar 07, 2013
On Sun Feb 05, 2017 09:21 PM
You can wear them forever if you like!

I like the look of nylons on a dancer with toned legs and good extensions. If that's not a strength, I think socks emphasize the feet more.

In the end, I think it's more important to be happy with your outfit than worried about it. Happy outfit=confident dancer.
By LissaJademember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 101, member since Tue Sep 30, 2008
On Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:39 PM
I always prefer white ankle socks over nylons. I am an adult premier dancer and have only worn nylons once(with new shoes that were too tight for my socks) - I hate the feel of them, and I really think the ankle socks look nicer.

White knee socks, however, are a totally different matter - I am not a fan of them at all.
By emmyport Comments: 911, member since Thu Mar 13, 2008
On Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:43 PM
My teacher growing up said if you are old enough for a bra you are too old for ankle socks. Nylons give a nice look for the mature dancer, in my opinion.
By JustDancing4Fun Comments: 601, member since Mon Nov 13, 2006
On Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:28 AM
emmyport wrote:

My teacher growing up said if you are old enough for a bra you are too old for ankle socks. Nylons give a nice look for the mature dancer, in my opinion.

hahahaha Love this one!

I HATE knee socks for the older dancers. If you're in Beginner & Novice, I suggest Knee socks. I HATE the look of ankle socks - makes it look too girly IMO.

If you're in Intermediate & Premier, you should have pantyhose.

I have a brand new beginner student who's 14 and chooses to wear knee socks. She hates the feeling of her shoe rubbing her leg for those round the leg movements. :)
By Bril Comments: 152, member since Thu Mar 07, 2013
On Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:59 PM
I didn't realize there was such a debate over socks! Haha.

I'm in the "no knee socks" camp for sure though. I don't like the contrast of the tartan with the white. I think you lose your whole leg that way! I can only handle knee socks with the kilt because they sort of go together colour-wise.

For the OP: I think you've got ammo for and against the case with your kid.. So good luck!
By punkqueeniemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1345, member since Tue Dec 17, 2002
On Wed Feb 22, 2017 05:43 PM
I would personally rather see knee socks than ankle socks. It cuts the legs off at the most important place and it's not "cute" unless your age is in single digits.

I really like the bra/socks rule. I think it was instituted at my school just this moment.
By rosalinde Comments: 1973, member since Fri Jun 19, 2009
On Thu Feb 23, 2017 02:11 AM
I usually tell my dancers that it's time for tights when they go to secondary school. There is a little 'mixed' time though, but when they (feel they) need to shave their legs, it's tights all the way.

For a 12-year-old I would let them wear socks, and gently wean them off over the next year or so.

I never allow knee socks (because I don't like the look of them :P ), although I once had a dancer who'd forgotten her elastics so we used Irish Dance sock glue to stick her white socks to her legs for kilt. She got to keep them on for National too of course.

ReplySendWatch