Forum: Adults / Adult Dancers

Adult Dancers
Adult beginner
By xQueen_Jojox Comments: 1, member since Tue Feb 07, 2017
On Tue Feb 07, 2017 08:47 AM

Hello, I'm new to the fourm. I'm 19 years old and I've always wanted to dance, so now that I'm older I want to try it, any tips for a beginner?

1 Replies to Adult beginner

re: Adult beginner (karma: 1)
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 634, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sun Feb 12, 2017 08:38 AM
Hi and welcome to the DDN Forum. It's always nice to have new folks join up here, esp. older adults. Tips for a newbe hey, I really don't have many, but here goes.

First, what type of dance are you interested in as you did not mention it.

0. Depending on the school/studio policies, you will probably not need to spend a million bucks on dancewear, shoes, accessories, etc. just yet. Most schools have liberal uniform requirements or none at all for their adult students. And it's good anyway to wait a semester or two before you dive in to start purchsaing a ton of dancewear. The only thing you will really need is a good pair of dance shoes, and ask your instructor what would be best for you.

1. Do go to claees and take regular formal lessons. You really will not get far, and could very possibly injure yourelf, trying to do things at home just by watching DVD's, Youtube, etc.

2. Finding schools or studio's that teach adults generall is not easy unless you are living in a large urban city. So it might take some time to find a willing teacher/instructor. Do realize that if you want quality instruction you might have to commute a bit for it.

3. Don't expect results to come quickly, adult bodies love dance and we are usually well behaved and attentive students, but our bodies are no where's near as flexible and pliable as one would be if you had started dance at around 4-5 yrs. old and stuck with it into your late teens. So don't get discuraged, and stick with it.

4. Don't be afraid to ask your teacher for corrections or to ask a question, or for her to give you advice on what to practice on at home, and goals to work towards. Remember you are paying good money for lessons.

5. Do make frieds with the other adults in your class, and most of all enjoy it!! It's never too late to start.

6. Do get a medical from your GP first prior to starting any exercise program, which dance is. If he gives you any restrictions do discuss them with your teacher at your first class, and follow them. Though at 19 I am assuming you are pretty healthy.

Like you I started dance (recratonal/amature ballet) in my early 20's after I had graduated from university. I am still enjoying it very much today and have met some very wonderful people along the way.

Good luck with it. I've found dance to be a wonderful way to stay inshape all through my adult years, and to have fun too!

ReplySendWatch