Forum: Irish / Irish - Beginners

Irish - Beginners
Can beginners my age eventually compete?
By Mallaidh Comments: 1, member since Tue Feb 07, 2017
On Tue Feb 07, 2017 01:01 PM

Hi! I'm 23 and have just now started Irish dance. I'm not in a fancy academy (it was a club that big enough enough that they needed to rent a studio), but I am lucky in that they offer affordable private lessons that work with my class schedule!

I've wanted to take Irish dance since I was 4 years old, but it wasn't until I moved to college that I had access to any classes. :(

So here is my question:

Is it possible to compete if I begin this late in my life? Don't get me wrong! I know dancing is about the fun, the personal accomplishments and growth, but I really would like to compete one day.

I see a lot of forums like "you're never too old! I started when I was 13." Haha, I'm a decade past that. So yeah, while I'm having a total blast, I am hopeful about competitions.

Thank you in advance for any answers/advice!

2 Replies to Can beginners my age eventually compete?

re: Can beginners my age eventually compete?
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Tue Feb 07, 2017 02:52 PM
Edited by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2017-02-07 14:53:25
Of course you can compete! If you said "I just started and I want to be world champion", I might give you the "expectations" talk. But you should totally go for it! I love competing because it means I get to hang out with my friends, visit new cities, and come home with all sorts of stories and inside jokes. For me, competing is more about the experience than any medals or trophies I may (very rarely) pick up along the way. But it does give me the kick in the rear to help me improve, and I don't think I would have that same drive if I didn't have a feis to spur me on. I will say some teachers aren't supportive of late beginners/adults competing, so do your homework and make sure you're in the right environment to pursue your goals. But if you are--go for it!
re: Can beginners my age eventually compete? (karma: 1)
By Claramel Comments: 35, member since Tue Oct 13, 2015
On Tue Feb 07, 2017 03:01 PM
Go for it! I just started Irish dance last year (at age 26!) and I'm hoping to do my first competition this year. I'm like you - I've always wanted to do Irish dance but there weren't any classes in my area.

I've done ballet since I was four and switched to highland dancing at age 16. I've never had enough to be a champion dancer (stamina, elevation, points yadda yadda) but I've worked hard and I think I'm an accomplished dancer.

As long as you go into a competition with the attitude that you are going to dance your best regardless of the results then you will have personal fulfillment. I think competitions are good for maintaining and improving your standard.

Also, I'll just point out....make sure you warm up and cool down properly! It's easier to injure yourself esp. If you are older and don't treat your body with respect!

ReplySendWatch