Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Pointe - General
Coming off pointe
By eyecandance Comments: 78, member since Wed Apr 08, 2009
On Wed Feb 08, 2017 06:02 AM

How does your teacher teach you to get off pointe in like a pique releve' ??? One teacher taught to roll over the front. I was taught to roll through the shoe to go on and off pointe.

Does anyone understand what I mean? Thanks

2 Replies to Coming off pointe

re: Coming off pointe
By Sumayah Comments: 6876, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Wed Feb 08, 2017 06:21 AM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2017-02-08 14:30:43 autocorrect is the worst
Depends on what comes next. But I'd say I teach to roll down, because even if you faille through, you'd want to roll down so you slide through 1st. But if, say, it's a posé to attitude devant, and you tombé out, I'd have you go straight off the front of the shoe - you wouldn't roll down to tombé, you'd just tombé, you know? So I'd say 98% of the time I teach to roll down from pointe in some way, but occasionally choreography calls for a different approach.

But I've never heard of a method that encourages coming off pointe without control, which is what rolling over the front implies to me. Unless she's using at as exercise to get your hips over your platform in a posé - the whole I'd-rather-you-fall-forward-than-backward thing. In which case, if the purpose is to get you over your box and off your heel, eventually once you get used to going for the piqué, you'll still roll down (usually). However it does you no good if you can roll down but you never get fully on your leg.
re: Coming off pointe
By eyecandance Comments: 78, member since Wed Apr 08, 2009
On Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:37 AM
This is actually very helpful. Thank you so much.

ReplySendWatch