Forum: Adults / 20 Something

20 Something
First solo in 6 years and freaking out
By liveonpointe Comments: 5, member since Mon Jan 26, 2015
On Thu Feb 23, 2017 05:13 AM
Edited by liveonpointe (272301) on 2017-02-23 05:15:07 It was an encouragement award someone younger won the main award

So I'm 22, I've been dancing since i was 4. I did Irish dance for 11 years and won all sorts of awards and then one day decided to give contemporary and jazz a try so quit irish.
After moving multiple schools that frankly couldnt care less about anyone other than their stars i lost all confidence in myself and regressed.

2 years ago i finally found a beautiful dance school that i love and feel totally at home with. Last year i won the lyrical encouragement award and have this year been invited to do a lyrical solo in the big eisteddfods. As a kid i did solos in little competitions but im freaking out because this is the biggest one in the state and i havent done a solo in 6 years (in which i had a panic attack before and have never done another solo)

Im slightly overweight and feel as if im too old and going to make a fool out of myself. But this is something ive always wanted to do and my teachers have promised to pull me out and be honest with me if they dont think im ready. But im freaking out BIG time.

Can anyone give me pointers on how to calm nerves before a solo. Im always scared i will forget it or people will laugh and think im stupid.

3 Replies to First solo in 6 years and freaking out

re: First solo in 6 years and freaking out
By rosalinde Comments: 1973, member since Fri Jun 19, 2009
On Thu Feb 23, 2017 07:15 AM
Did you have the same kind of insecurity when you did Irish? Or was that fine with you?
If you used to be confident, do you think you could try and find that state of mind again? Perhaps getting in touch with your old ID school would be an idea?

Good luck, I hope you'll enjoy it after all!
By liveonpointe Comments: 5, member since Mon Jan 26, 2015
On Thu Feb 23, 2017 07:58 PM
I think because i was young and slim and competed so often it was just second nature. I used to turn my face to the wall side stage. Close my eyes and use my hands to do the steps.
I think im worried people will judge me because im slightly chubby not your typical dancer body. And not that good.
My old ID school has been taken over by new management.
By CinderEmma Comments: 136, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Mon Feb 27, 2017 09:30 AM
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-02-27 09:31:08 Grammar
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-02-27 09:32:10 Grammar
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-02-27 09:32:33
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-02-27 09:33:38
This is most normal! I've freaked out during solos all the time, and I am no stranger to panic attacks. You're not alone, my friend.

The best thing to do is make sure you are PREPARED! This includes getting the choreography and steps down to the point that you can do them without thinking. That way, if you freeze up on stage and your brain shuts down, your feet will be able to just do their thing without requiring any guidance from your brain.

I also find that usually the actual experience isn't always as bad as what we envision it will be like. However, be careful of a concept called "rehearsal for failure". It means if your brain thinks it is going to fail, then it is already rehearsing to do just that. What you should do is get your brain to start "rehearsing for success." (I know, easier said then done, right?)

Another thing to think about is that your stress is your body's natural response. It increases your heartrate, your eyesight, adds more power to your muscles....in other words you are more powerful! Find a way to tap into that energy and use the stress to your advantage. As long as you can keep the stress under your control, the effects of panic will have no choice but to serve YOU and not the other way around.

One final thought it that a lot of times, we have a fear of the panic itself. This ties in a lot with rehearsal for failure. It also ties in with being prepared, because the more prepared you are ahead of time, the more CONFIDENT you will be with yourself.

Good luck and go get em', my friend!

ReplySendWatch