Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

Ballet Intensives
Miami City Ballet Summer Intensive
By Ballerina_Grace1 Comments: 7, member since Tue Jan 31, 2017
On Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:41 AM

I got into the MCB SI this year and I'm really excited, because I know they made some changes this year, and some of my friends at SAB didn't get in this year either because of this. I am 15 and I was placed in level VI and this is my first summer intensive after training seriously for about two years. Is this a good level for may age? How does the performance at the end work? If you went, who was your favorite teacher? How many people do they take into the school? Any other tips?

1 Replies to Miami City Ballet Summer Intensive

re: Miami City Ballet Summer Intensive
By S_H_A_O_ Comments: 234, member since Sun Apr 21, 2013
On Thu Feb 23, 2017 02:00 PM
Obviously it's hard to answer your first question because the program is a little different this year, but I know of a 16 year old and 14 year old who were both accepted into level VI. The performance is pretty standard. You would have rehearsal over the course of the 5 weeks and then during the last week you will have dress rehearsals. For me, there were two casts, each cast getting two performances. The day of the performances I only had an hour technique class and then the rest of the day was spent preparing and performing. I can't say I had one particular favorite teacher, but my second time I was able to have the Delgado sisters (both company members) teach me, and they were AMAZING. Honestly, I really liked all of the teachers there. I also really like the new director. I'm not sure how many classes she will teach, but I've had her before and she's wonderful. For the year-round program, it really depends on how many people apple versus how many people they want. Sometimes really good people aren't accepted and sometimes people who may not be as "good" are accepted. I was fortunate enough to be asked to stay but I wasn't able to attend. I wouldn't consider myself an over-the-top amazing dancer. I think they would be most interested in someone with really clean, strong technique. I also would advise not to get to caught up in who gets accepted. I know a lot of people who had their experiences ruined because they were too focused on the year-round spots. Hope this helps!

ReplySendWatch