Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Beginners

Jazz - Beginners
Ballet dancer thinking about taking jazz
By jayseree Comments: 7, member since Thu Mar 02, 2017
On Thu Mar 02, 2017 06:11 PM
Edited by jayseree (280591) on 2017-03-02 18:11:48

Hey y'all.

I've been taking ballet for approximately 6 years (and modern, although for much less) and now but now I've been thinking about adding jazz to my repertoire. My sister takes it and she says it is fun but I get really nervous and self-conscious since I'll be starting late (I'm 14). As well, the jazz classes my dance studio offers includes a fair bit of tumbling and I can't even do a simple cartwheel.

So do you think I should try it out? Will ballet help me a bit?

Thanks

3 Replies to Ballet dancer thinking about taking jazz

re: Ballet dancer thinking about taking jazz
By SDAdancerLIM Comments: 37, member since Tue May 17, 2016
On Sat Mar 04, 2017 09:03 AM
Without really being able to see what your dance abilities are, it's difficult to know how you'd do in a jazz class. However, it never hurts to try!

Ballet is the foundation of all other dance. The same body alignment and technique you learn in ballet (as well as modern) is used in jazz. Spotting for turns won't change and you'll still plie before and after every jump and leap. There are many dance steps that are used in both ballet and jazz. Basically, what I'm trying to say is that yes, your experience in ballet will help you if you decide to begin taking a jazz class.

It may be difficult to keep up at first if you'll be in a class with kids who've been doing jazz since they were 5, but through hard work and dedication, you will likely be able to do it.

Just remember to have fun and try your best! Nobody's going to expect you to be perfect when you're just a beginner!
By dancingbell2017 Comments: 10, member since Tue Apr 25, 2017
On Tue Apr 25, 2017 05:36 PM
Me too actually! I think you should definitely try it out. I did a little bit of jazz a while ago, but I've since stopped and I really only do ballet. Now, I do some jazz at school, but I am also looking to add a jazz class. I would take the jazz class and see how you like it. The basics shouldn't be too hard for a ballerina, but some more advanced stuff might take more practice. Don't get discouraged and remember to just try!
Good luck!
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Wed Apr 26, 2017 07:44 PM
Take the class, over the summer! Sign up for the summer session!

Summer sessions are typically smaller, so they can go a little slower, which is perfect for someone trying out a new type of dance.

And what's the worst that can happen? You decide you don't like it, and drop it? Oh well.

ReplySendWatch