Forum: Irish / Irish - Dressmakers & Costumers

Irish - Dressmakers & Costumers
What dressmaker should I go to?
By AmyFarrell922 Comments: 1, member since Sat Mar 04, 2017
On Sat Mar 04, 2017 04:41 PM
Edited by AmyFarrell922 (280636) on 2017-03-04 16:45:19

Who is the best dressmaker to go to? What experiences have you had with them? Who should I not go to? Best ones for unique designs?

Thank you in advance ☺

1 Replies to What dressmaker should I go to?

re: What dressmaker should I go to?
By rosalinde Comments: 1973, member since Fri Jun 19, 2009
On Sun Mar 05, 2017 01:02 AM
In order for you to answer those questions, you need to do some homework:
* What is your budget? Can you afford $2000+ for a Big Name custom dress or is that too much? Solos are always pricey, but top dressmakers are more expensive than lesser-known ones.
* What is your level? Are you in Prelim, looking for your first dress or are you going to a big Championship and you need a Championship dress (=$$$)? If you are looking for a first solo, consider Dance Again and buying a last-season dress. You'll get all the style at a fraction of the cost and much less waiting time.
* What is your taste? Every dressmaker has their own style. Follow them on Facebook etc and find your favorites. Make a Pinterest page. You'll find yourself veering towards certain styles and dressmakers in the process.
* How long can you wait? Some dressmakers have a looooooong waiting list, especially for new customers. Others can have you dressed in a matter of a couple of months.
* What does your TCRG like? Does he/she have a preference? Some TCs like their dancers (especially top-level) to be fairly uniformly dressed and by certain dressmakers. You may be limited and you will need to respect that.
* What is your organisation? Gone are the times that only CLRG had all the bling, but some organisations are still slightly less exuberant and 'only the latest and greatest will do'. If you are not CLRG, Dance Again can again be a good option.
* What is your idea of a 'unique' design? All custom solos are one-of-a-kind, but dressmakers follow trends and have their own identity. If you look at dresses long enough you will be able to tell what dressmaker is behind certain dresses just by the look of them. If you do not want that identity, go for a small dressmaker who does not necessarily follow the biggest trends and who may be more willing to go for something completely different if that is what you want.

And last but not least: ALL the currently well-known dressmakers make perfectly good dresses. It really is just a matter of your taste. As for experience, I only ever ordered 1 custom dress (from Elevation, in 2010) and I was thoroughly pleased. As with every business there are bound to be some mishaps, but generally a professional business will have to do well in order to stay in business.

ReplySendWatch