Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Pointe - General
Single Pirouttes en Pointe
By MaddyM52903 Comments: 4, member since Sat Feb 25, 2017
On Tue Mar 14, 2017 01:39 PM

So, I've been en pointe for a little over 2 years. I put them on for class once a week for about an hour a week. In my recital dances, we have to do pirouettes from 4th on my weaker foot (turning right, but my left turns are better since my right foot is stronger). It's an internal fear and I'm not sure why, I have a hard time springing up onto my left foot in general. Is there anything I can do to get over this?

3 Replies to Single Pirouttes en Pointe

re: Single Pirouttes en Pointe
By Serendipity42Premium member Comments: 2267, member since Sun Aug 16, 2009
On Wed Mar 15, 2017 04:36 AM
1. Continually do releve passe on that foot. As you do it, try to stay up as long as you can before coming down.
2. Do releve passe, but in a 1/4 turn. That means if you are facing the mirror, you turn right only a little, to face the right wall. then you do another to face the back, then another to face the other wall, then back to the mirror. Quarter turns.
3. Then do the same but in a half turn, so that you face only the back. And a half to get back to the front.
4. Finally, a full turn.
If you do that sequence over and over, you will not only strengthen the foot, but might also get over the fear.

It does work....
Passe only
Quarter turns
Half turns
Full turns
By MaddyM52903 Comments: 4, member since Sat Feb 25, 2017
On Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:35 AM
The thing is I've been taught to spring onto pointe instead of going up through releve. I'm scared to spring up onto my left foot in general.
By Serendipity42Premium member Comments: 2267, member since Sun Aug 16, 2009
On Sun Mar 19, 2017 01:09 PM
Start at the barre, then.

ReplySendWatch