Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Pointe - General
Pros & cons of flat platform vs. rounded platform?
By cara7 Comments: 189, member since Wed Aug 07, 2013
On Thu Mar 16, 2017 06:28 AM
Edited by cara7 (260547) on 2017-03-16 06:29:07

Hi there, I tend to use very flat/definded platforms like Freed Studios, Grishko, Russian Pointe, Sansha, Suffolk. What are the pros of less defined & more rounded platforms? Is it that you can go further over the platform if the edges are rounded or what else are the advantages? BLOCH platforms have much more rounded edges than the brands mentioned above, so I was curious about the reasons... Thanks!

6 Replies to Pros & cons of flat platform vs. rounded platform?

re: Pros & cons of flat platform vs. rounded platform?
By scoutg Comments: 20, member since Tue Jan 03, 2017
On Sun Mar 19, 2017 07:22 AM
From what I understand, rounded platforms (such as certain freed classics and bloch models), allow a dancer to roll up to pointe, while the flatter platforms (like russian pointe) tend to "pop" up. In my experience, I actually go over further and even too far on the flatter platforms (Grishko and Freed Studio pro are what I have worn), while I feel i have more control over how far I go on rounded platform ( I wear freed classic neptune maker, who makes a more rounded platform). I prefer different shoes for different reasons. Like, in a role that would require balancing on pointe or doing hops on pointe, I would choose a flatter platform as it is more stable, but I feel more comfortable turning and doing releves in general with a more rounded platform. Hope this helped
On Sun Mar 19, 2017 09:50 AM
Hi! Thanks for your reply! Ok, so flat platforms even promote going over too far (I though it was the other way round) which explains, however, why I go over so far in Suffolk Solo, which have an ultra flat & incredibly large platform. I now consinder using rounded platforms, too, for a change, in order to get used to the "rounded" feel, too...thanks again!
By hummingbird Comments: 10412, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sun Mar 19, 2017 01:51 PM
I never liked rounded platforms, they never felt secure enough for me, I have one ankle that has too much mobility and I could never find my balance point with rounded platforms, give me a solid, flat platform any day!
On Mon Mar 20, 2017 01:48 PM
Ok, thanks, I feel sort of relieved that I am not the only person who prefers those ultra-flat platforms... but I might try 1 more rounded pair, just for comparison ;)
By DanceHeart99member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 200, member since Mon Nov 21, 2011
On Mon May 15, 2017 05:21 PM
I agree with hummingbird, I absolutely hate platforms that aren't completely flat. I like the feeling of knowing with certainty weather or not I'm on my box by being able to feel the edges of the platform. It's also easier to balance. My guess would be a more experienced dancer might like a rounded box because it could allow for more movement/flexibility in terms of placement.
On Tue May 16, 2017 01:52 PM
Thanks for your reply! Yes, I also decided to stick with what I am used to (which is flat and stable platforms like Grishko, Freed Studios, Russian Pointe or Sansha)... so no more experimenting with wobbly rounded platforms, haha...

ReplySendWatch