Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Pointe - General
trouble finding the perfect pointe shoe!
By LiveLoveDance5 Comments: 226, member since Fri Jan 30, 2009
On Sun Mar 19, 2017 04:44 PM

Hey all!

It's been a hot second since I was last on here! A lot of stuff has happened since, but mostly, I took a little hiatus from all dance classes. Part of it was due to a severe case of tendinitis, part of it was just not getting back into classes after that. So here I am, getting back into ballet, hoping to eventually get back up to my usual 4-5 classes per week.

Ideally, I'd love to get back into pointe, but it'll be a while until then. However, I've always had an issue with my pointe shoes - the top of my foot is so incredibly flat that there's always space between the top outside part of my foot (3rd-5th metatarsal area right by the vamp)! I've tried a few different brands of shoes - Capezio, Mirella, Gaynor Mindens, Grishkos, and I've always wound up back in Grishko shoes because they've been the most comfortable and flattering on my feet, but I know it's not the *perfect* shoe for me.

Does anyone else have this problem with super low profile feet? My feet are also pretty compressible in that area, so while it looks like I may need a slightly wider box, my foot compresses a fair amount when en pointe, and right now, that compressibility plus the not-quite-perfect vamp fit causes me to sink down into my shoes, thus I cannot dance as well. Monetarily right now, I'd love to eventually put myself back in Gaynors - I loved the suede tip, and I would put myself right back in those pianissimo shanks, since my feet are pretty strong. My only gripe with my Gaynors was wearing my own padding - I prefer to wear an Ouch Pouch Jr. with a tiny bit of lambswool inside, and I couldn't really wear any padding in my Gaynors because it was too snug.

Any shoe suggestions are greatly appreciated!

9 Replies to trouble finding the perfect pointe shoe!

re: trouble finding the perfect pointe shoe!
By cara7 Comments: 189, member since Wed Aug 07, 2013
On Mon Mar 20, 2017 01:51 PM
Hi! Have you already tried models from the Russian Pointe Jewels series? They are ultra low profile shoes, and look a bit like Gaynors in that respect (flexible next-generation shanks, but made from natural materials). They also have rather wide widhts, and different box shapes (Rubin is slightly tapered, Almaz somewhat tapered, Sapfir tapered). Maybe it would be worth trying? Good luck!
By isarose Comments: 4, member since Mon Nov 14, 2016
On Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:39 AM
Hello,
My feet sound so similar to yours! My feet are very compressible and my foot doesn't have any bulk until my arch area, leaving room at the top of my shoes. My favorite shoes are the Freed Wing Block in 5 XXX and I have recently purchased the PerfectFit Pointe inserts. They are custom toe pads and they have changed my dancing life. The toe pads are a perfect mold of my toes and fill in the extra space and make me feel amazing on pointe. The kit is more expensive ($42) than your traditional toe pads but it is well worth it.
By LiveLoveDance5 Comments: 226, member since Fri Jan 30, 2009
On Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:56 PM
cara7 wrote:

Hi! Have you already tried models from the Russian Pointe Jewels series? They are ultra low profile shoes, and look a bit like Gaynors in that respect (flexible next-generation shanks, but made from natural materials). They also have rather wide widhts, and different box shapes (Rubin is slightly tapered, Almaz somewhat tapered, Sapfir tapered). Maybe it would be worth trying? Good luck!

Haven't any Russian Pointe shoes EVER! They're a little more tough to find by me, but I'm always game to try a new pointe shoe.

isarose wrote:

Hello,
My feet sound so similar to yours! My feet are very compressible and my foot doesn't have any bulk until my arch area, leaving room at the top of my shoes. My favorite shoes are the Freed Wing Block in 5 XXX and I have recently purchased the PerfectFit Pointe inserts. They are custom toe pads and they have changed my dancing life. The toe pads are a perfect mold of my toes and fill in the extra space and make me feel amazing on pointe. The kit is more expensive ($42) than your traditional toe pads but it is well worth it.

I remember seeing Sara Mearns (or someone) post about those a while ago, and I never really looked into it! I just took a look at their website though, and these actually seem like they might be a huge help. I know my Ouch Pouch Jr. + lambswool combo has always worked for me, but the fact that these molding fills the negative space in your shoe seems like it'd solve that extra space problem. I think I'm going to order the kit!
By Siberrian_Swan Comments: 4, member since Sun May 21, 2017
On Sun May 21, 2017 03:46 PM
You may want to try Siberian Swan, it is new, and totally different pointe shoes.
Profiles are low.
Active Arch Support patented technology, breaks high just below the heel to provide additional support, and take pressure way from the toes
If you are in Boca Raton, FL area, check the local store �Shape Shop for Dance� they carry Siberian Swan. It is also available on site:
www.siberianswan.com . . .
By Gracie220 Comments: 51, member since Tue Feb 24, 2015
On Mon May 22, 2017 08:53 AM
I've seen ads and posts about the new Siberian Swan shoes! I'd love to try them because my feet work really well with Grishko 2007s. I'll have to look around to see if I can get a pair.

If anyone on here has tried them, I'd love to hear what you thought of them (and maybe pictures)!
By hazelladykatie Comments: 4, member since Mon Jul 10, 2017
On Wed Jul 12, 2017 08:05 AM
Have you tried changing up the sizing and/or inside padding in Gaynors? I had to experiment a little bit but ended up getting rid of that little pad at the base of the box, and went a half size up to accommodate my padding. I'm not sure the last time you used them, but they also have added a new type of fit, called "sculpted", that I really love.
By Serendipity42Premium member Comments: 2267, member since Sun Aug 16, 2009
On Thu Jul 13, 2017 08:28 PM
Edited by Serendipity42 (215267) on 2017-07-13 20:29:43
I tried to custom order a pair of the Siberian Swan this week but they said they didn't have my size available. So much for the custom part of it... :(
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:52 PM
Have you tried Sanshas? I love mine. My arches are insanely high, Sanshas are the only shoe that I don't kill quickly. I love my Sansha Lryicas. I also have skinny heels, the Sanshas are perfect for me. I also like Gaynors.
By hummingbird Comments: 10412, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sun Jul 16, 2017 08:05 AM
Have you tried using some kind of toe spacer if your feet are compressible? One of my previous students used to wrap hockey tape around her toes to stop her feet from compressing so much.

ReplySendWatch