Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

Ballet Intensives
Could you tell me about the CPYB summer intensive?
By so_devine Comments: 5, member since Thu Feb 16, 2017
On Tue Mar 21, 2017 01:29 PM
Edited by so_devine (280180) on 2017-03-21 13:29:48

I'm going to the CPYB summer intensive this summer, and I'm really nervous! Could anyone answer some questions about this SI? Thanks!

How old were you?
What level were you in?
What was the placement class like?
How do the levels work? (how many levels are there, which levels are good, etc...)
Are there any other classes besides ballet/pointe?
How often did you take pointe class?
What was your favorite part of the SI?
Any advice for someone going there for the first time?

thanks so much!!!

4 Replies to Could you tell me about the CPYB summer intensive?

re: Could you tell me about the CPYB summer intensive?
By scoutg Comments: 20, member since Tue Jan 03, 2017
On Wed Mar 22, 2017 08:08 AM
Hi!! I went to CPYB 3 years ago, when I was 11.
I was in level B6.
The placement class was just a basic class, no barre though. Melinda taught it. We did tendus, adagio, pirouettes, and petit allegro. It was kind of stressful because four teachers (in this case I think it was Marcia, Pat, Melinda, and maybe darla) sit at a desk and write stuff down, like competition judges. They put you in groups and that is basically your level, though some people may change.
The earlier the placement class, the "lower" your level, but the levels don't go in order anyway so it doesn't matter.
There are like 20 levels and they are all good because whatever level you are placed in is designed to benefit you personally the most. They place you based on what you need to work on and the levels change every year so that the people in them get the most out of it. It's a great system and it means everyone benefits, but it can be tempting to compare levels. That doesn't make sense due to the nature of the levels at CPYB, so try not to get caught up in that.
There are modern classes and supplemental classes such as hip hop, jazz, Zumba, tap, Pilates, and yoga.
I took pointe 2x a week in the first two weeks and then everyday, but I was in a younger level and there were some people in my class who were not on pointe.
My favorite part of the SI was the teachers and the dorm atmosphere. All of the teachers were amazing and i loved how every class was so unique.
Good luck, try not to get caught up in any drama, focus on yourself and your own improvement, don't compare yourself to others, work hard, and make the most of your summer, because it really will be worth it.
By scoutg Comments: 20, member since Tue Jan 03, 2017
On Wed Mar 22, 2017 08:09 AM
Hi!! I went to CPYB 3 years ago, when I was 11.
I was in level B6.
The placement class was just a basic class, no barre though. Melinda taught it. We did tendus, adagio, pirouettes, and petit allegro. It was kind of stressful because four teachers (in this case I think it was Marcia, Pat, Melinda, and maybe darla) sit at a desk and write stuff down, like competition judges. They put you in groups and that is basically your level, though some people may change.
The earlier the placement class, the "lower" your level, but the levels don't go in order anyway so it doesn't matter.
There are like 20 levels and they are all good because whatever level you are placed in is designed to benefit you personally the most. They place you based on what you need to work on and the levels change every year so that the people in them get the most out of it. It's a great system and it means everyone benefits, but it can be tempting to compare levels. That doesn't make sense due to the nature of the levels at CPYB, so try not to get caught up in that.
There are modern classes and supplemental classes such as hip hop, jazz, Zumba, tap, Pilates, and yoga.
I took pointe 2x a week in the first two weeks and then everyday, but I was in a younger level and there were some people in my class who were not on pointe.
My favorite part of the SI was the teachers and the dorm atmosphere. All of the teachers were amazing and i loved how every class was so unique.
Good luck, try not to get caught up in any drama, focus on yourself and your own improvement, don't compare yourself to others, work hard, and make the most of your summer, because it really will be worth it.
By Katherine17 Comments: 1, member since Wed Mar 22, 2017
On Wed Mar 22, 2017 02:21 PM
I went last year, it was a pretty good experience for me. I was 16, in one of the D levels. Placement class was fairly short for me, we went right into center, they did not have us do barre. I had an hour long pointe class every day except Saturday. I really enjoyed the focus on improving basic technique as well as the variety and caliber of the teachers. I would advise you to be focused and ready to absorb new corrections. Also to take modern, as I found those classes to be very beneficial as well as fun :)
By leslieballetnyc Comments: 2, member since Wed Apr 12, 2017
On Wed Apr 12, 2017 06:46 PM
How old were you?
- I have been to CPYB for three years, when I was 12, 13 and 14.

What level were you in?
I was in C3 for two years in a row, and last year I was in C8 (which is a new level).

What was the placement class like?
The placement class does not include barre, but you do get to warmup a half hour before your placement class starts. The placement class itself is not very hard, and you should already be placed with people who are around your level. That being said, do not worry if you feel that you are not the right level for your placement class, because they really do carefully observe everyone. The class consisted of a tondue combination, a pirroutte combination, a balance combination and petit allegro. Again, nothing too hard or tricky, because they are looking more at your technique than how many turns you do. They would rather see a very clean single or double than a messy triple or quad.

How do the levels work? (how many levels are there, which levels are good, etc...)
There are around 20 levels in the program. The levels are divided up into 5 sections A, B, C, D, E; A being the lowest level and E being the highest level. Most A level students are little kids who are not even old enough to dorm. The E level students are very good, and mostly CPYB year round kids, with a few exceptions of SAB kids and BAE kids. Each level is more focused on what the student needs to improv on, rather that who's better. So if are in B6, that doesn't mean that your friend in C5 is much better. A and B levels do not do pointe.

Are there any other classes besides ballet/pointe?
There are other optional classes such as yoga, stretch, pilates, tap, zumba, hop-hop and some more. To sign up for these classes you have to get a class card, where you can get either 5 or 10 classes on it. I must warn you, stretch and pilates happen in between dinner and night class, so often times you have to miss dinner to make the class

How often did you take pointe class?
As I said before, A and B levels do not take pointe. Every other level takes pointe once everyday except for Saturday. If you have Melinda Howe for pointe, she will not do pointe with your class no matter how high the level is.

What was your favorite part of the SI?
I really loved all of the summer intensive. The teachers are amazing, the Dickinson campus is beautiful, the dorm life is great, and you do have a lot of freedom within the program. The activities on Sunday are also always very fun.

Any advice for someone going there for the first time?
Don't work yourself too hard, if you are tired, do not go to the optional night class. Making friends really do help the experience, so don't completely block out other people.

ReplySendWatch