Forum: Irish / Irish - Technique & Training

Afraid of high clicks on slippy floors
By drumLady86
On Sun Mar 26, 2017 04:51 AM

Hi,

I´m a german based irish dancer (age 31) and I dance for about 18 years. I have a big problem, that I´m afraid to do high clicks on slippy floors. I tape my hardshoes but I´m afraid to fall down when I make a big click.

Has anyone of you some tips for me?

5 Replies to Afraid of high clicks on slippy floors

re: Afraid of high clicks on slippy floors
By rosalinde
On Mon Mar 27, 2017 06:13 AM
First of all, you are not the only one.

If possible attach duct tape to the tips of your shoes, that really helps (colour of the tape does not matter, but I generally try to match it a bit). The duct tape will muffle your sound, but sometimes that's a sacrifice you'll have to make.
If that does not help, you will have to do lower clicks, there is no point in falling for the sake of a click.

That said it could be a mental thing too - if you're afraid you'll fall you may well fall.
Can you find a way to practice on slippery floors? My dance school has very slippery floors so my dancers are used to it, and are never surprised.
By StepdancerPremium member
On Mon Mar 27, 2017 09:15 PM
*sigh* Ah, yes. Our Irish ice skates...er...hard shoes.

I have rubber skid pads applied to the soles of my hard shoes on the ball of the foot area (not the tip). Sound is unaffected, and I slide a lot less. Wouldn't help with toe stands, though.
By kss
On Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:26 PM
Stepdancer wrote:

*sigh* Ah, yes. Our Irish ice skates...er...hard shoes.

I have rubber skid pads applied to the soles of my hard shoes on the ball of the foot area (not the tip). Sound is unaffected, and I slide a lot less. Wouldn't help with toe stands, though.

Could you provide more detail on this? My dancer has to practice on very slippery floors and is now in her dance sneakers way more than her hard shoes... not an ideal sitation! We've tried all sorts of taping techniques to no avail. I'd love to learn more about rubber skid pads, particularly whether or not they leave marks on the floor.
By StepdancerPremium member
On Mon Apr 03, 2017 09:08 PM
kss wrote:

Could you provide more detail on this? My dancer has to practice on very slippery floors and is now in her dance sneakers way more than her hard shoes... not an ideal sitation! We've tried all sorts of taping techniques to no avail. I'd love to learn more about rubber skid pads, particularly whether or not they leave marks on the floor.

Skid pads are thin rubber pads which a local shoe shop glues to the sole of my shoe behind the tip (so not on the tip), the ball of the foot area we stand on. They do not stop all slipping, but they definitely slow me down. They might need to be replaced periodically when the tread has worn off. (Depending on how quickly a dancer goes through hard shoes, they may not need to be replaced at all.) I love them because there's nothing to apply, remove, or forget to apply--they're always there. As I said, however, they will not help with toe work. I danced in the era before toe work, so that wasn't a problem. I have never had mine leave marks on the floor, nor do the skid pads my students use.

The weird thing is that many, many types of dance shoes have rubber skid pads attached...but not hard shoes. Dancers seem to be afraid they will affect the sound. I heard that over and over, "I can't use those--it'll deaden the sound!" (Said dancers would then proceed to add 6 pounds of tape to their shoes, totally covering the tips. :P ) But the skid pads go on the sole of the shoe, leaving the tip untouched, so the sound is unaffected. Everyone had tan leather soles in my day, but given how many dancers now dance in shoes with fuzzy black soles that certainly add nothing to the sound, that fear is especially puzzling.

I will add that the best anti-slip substance I've ever used is rosin. That goes on both soles and tips without affecting the sound, but unfortunately it's messy and hard to apply, especially at someplace like an outdoor feis.
By kss
On Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:13 AM
Thanks so much, Stepdancer! Very informative and interesting info. I'm going to look into the skid pads for my daughter. She has no problems with slipping on marley at feiseanna, but the floors she practices at are just so slippery. We've got to figure something out.

ReplySendWatch