Forum: Adults / Adult Dancers

Adult Dancers
Ballet teacher is not motivated to teach
By OlderDancer2 Comments: 10, member since Mon Apr 03, 2017
On Mon Apr 03, 2017 09:16 PM

I am an adult ballet dancer who recently returned to dance after many years of not dancing. I've been taking classes for a while. In August last year I started at a dance studio with an adult ballet class, although the class was very small, the studio assured me they wanted an adult ballet program and wanted to keep it going.

The ballet teacher would often come to class late. (The class is supposed to be an hour and a half long). Often, she wouldn't show up at all. She would text one or two students to let them know she wasn't coming to class, so we had to go home. I wouldn't mind but it happens on a very regular basis now. When she does come to class, she says she doesn't feel well and just does a short class. I'm not getting my money's worth. Or if she can't make it to class, it would be better if she texted much earlier during the day. She often sends these texts when I'm already in my car driving to class.

Should I say anything to the studio about it because technically that would be telling on her. I don't want to cause any trouble for her but I pay a lot for these classes and also take time away from my family to be there. The studio has noticed a few times, that she wasn't in class and seemed concerned about it. I know the teacher was teaching other classes somewhere else recently, and is not anymore (but don't know any details).

This place is closest to where I live so I was hoping this would work out.

4 Replies to Ballet teacher is not motivated to teach

re: Ballet teacher is not motivated to teach
By Panda_Bear Comments: 410, member since Tue Feb 02, 2010
On Sat Apr 08, 2017 07:46 PM
If I was in your shoes I would let the studio owner know what is going on. This is hurting the SO's business and will hurt her more in the long term if she doesn't know what is going on. If your teacher is missing classes she either needs to find a time to make them up or get a sub to teach. The other choice I see here is to find another studio that offers what you need and withdraw from your current class.
On Fri Apr 28, 2017 07:44 PM
Thanks. I've finally found another class that will meet my needs, although it's a little more advanced. But I think it will work.I decided not to complain to the dance studio about the instructor being late all the time because I was told they don't care much about student complaints. But it doesn't matter as I'm in a better place now.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Sun May 21, 2017 11:17 PM
As the person that's often the first line of defense when people want to complain at the studio, I'll tell you - don't misunderstand their reaction as not caring. What you're likely seeing is one of two things - either you're complaining about something they can't solve (I had a lady one time complain that the teacher didn't challenge her kid. It's her first year of dance and she's in a pretty advanced class, she's being challenged plenty. And, this class is the only one for her age! AND the year is over in a single digit number of weeks. Why didn't you complain in September?!) So it wasn't that I didn't care, it was that I couldn't solve it. And, in some cases - I don't agree with you, or as a studio employee can't give the impression that I agree with you, so I'm quietly taking mental notes to tell the SO about it later. So, your situation is handled, but in the future..,don't mistake silence for not caring, that's rarely what it means.
On Tue May 23, 2017 10:14 PM
Edited by OlderDancer2 (282157) on 2017-05-23 22:17:31
I was told by others, that they often don't care about student complaints. That was their perception.

It's true, sometimes there is no way to solve a situation. But in this situation, I do think the dance teacher should be fired. That is just my honest opinion.

I found a class now, and the teacher is great. She is an older lady, in her 70s or possibly older. And she doesn't come to class late, she is on time, and makes good use of the class time, and teaches for the full duration of the class. She doesn't whine to the students about how she feels bad and wants to go home, like the previous instructor did at the other studio.

ReplySendWatch