Forum: Advice / Injuries

Injuries
Should I get my hips checked?
By broadwaybookworm Comments: 1, member since Thu Apr 06, 2017
On Thu Apr 06, 2017 02:44 PM

I'm 18 and I've never really had issues with my hips before, but over the past few months they've been sort of problematic. My right hip clicks when I turn out my right leg really far or bend forward. I also feel it shift when I bring my right leg down from a front battement. A little while after this started, my left hip began cramping when I do plies, lunges, or frappe battu. I feel like both of these are inhibiting my turnout and decreasing my range of motion, particularly when I lift my legs in second position. Is this something I need to get checked by a doctor? Are my hips out of alignment? Am I overreacting and getting worked up over nothing?

5 Replies to Should I get my hips checked?

re: Should I get my hips checked?
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Fri Apr 07, 2017 07:34 AM
Have you thought about getting a massage? If it's a muscular problem, which is what it sounds like a masseuse is going to be able to help you a doctor will just tell you to come back when you're in pain.
By CinderEmma Comments: 136, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Sat Apr 08, 2017 05:11 AM
I have a problem called lateral snapping hip. Basically, lateral snapping hip is when the hip makes a snapping sound during certain movements and I think it is the result of tight hip flexors. However, I am only a dancer and so I have no idea if this is what you have. It is just something you might consider.
By Artsy32 Comments: 5, member since Wed Apr 12, 2017
On Wed Apr 12, 2017 07:04 PM
Has this problem been dealt with? I might be able to give you some advice
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Thu Apr 13, 2017 07:31 AM
Snapping Hip Syndrome is usually caused by a tight IT band which is very common in dancers. One of the best stretches for the IT band is the one below.

I've added two pictures, the first one is the correct way to do this stretch, the second one, even though it looks like the guy is getting way further into the stretch he's cheating and giving his lower back and glutes a stretch instead. The trick is to keep a neutral spine as you hinge forward. It's not a forward bend like the guy's doing, think stick your butt out as you hinge forwards.

This can also be done with your foot on a ballet barre but it's more difficult to keep your spine in a good position especially when you're learning the movement.
By Artsy32 Comments: 5, member since Wed Apr 12, 2017
On Thu Apr 13, 2017 05:19 PM
Edited by hummingbird (128773) on 2017-04-14 19:05:27 Removed your link as advertising in the discussion forums is against our TOS
a chiropractor would be the best initial go to for assessment,
and your symptom sounds like a snapping Hip Syndrome which in most cases, causing a snapping (caused by the movement of a muscle or tendon over a bony structure in the hip). Since this is an issue of soft tissues, this may help as well r surrounding muscles and tendon within your trochanter area where the two meets

Hope this helps =)

ReplySendWatch