Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Pointe - General
DIY Way For Your Own Revolutionary Custom Toe Pads
By TwistedSoul Comments: 1, member since Fri Apr 14, 2017
On Fri Apr 14, 2017 01:10 PM
Edited by TwistedSoul (283037) on 2017-04-14 13:11:55 I forgot to add the name of a company.
Edited by TwistedSoul (283037) on 2017-04-14 13:15:11 Describing more thoroughly

I recently read about a company in Australia called En Pointe Orthotics that makes perfect pads for pointe shoes that are fitted exactly to to the shape of your unique foot. They fit the silicone putty around the foot and it is basically a new kind of pointe shoe toe pad that is perfectly formed to your foot only! I thought it sounded amazing, but since I don't live in Australia, I searched high and low to find a way to recreate these custom toe pads. I found a company in California that makes a very similar product called Perfect Fit Pointe, but the shipping prices for my country are just as expensive, if not more expensive, as the toe inserts themselves! I asked my mom if I could get them for my birthday, but my birthday is 11 months away, and I have a performance in 2 months.

So I found a youtube video that shows you how to make "Proto-Putty" a putty that is silicone based and makes perfect impressions of the object you in it. You mix a glob of silicone and food coloring together until it is uniform, and then place it in corn starch to make it not stick to your skin. Then you put in in/on whatecer you're making a mold of, and wait for it to cure for about 10-15 minutes. It cures to the consistensy of a rubber ball, so it is flexible, but firm enough to support your body weight. I'm getting the silicone for it tomorrow (I'm using food grade because it is generally used more for the body.) If anyone wants, I can post the steps I used that gave me the most successful results in a day or two! :)

3 Replies to DIY Way For Your Own Revolutionary Custom Toe Pads

re: DIY Way For Your Own Revolutionary Custom Toe Pads
By Serendipity42Premium member Comments: 2267, member since Sun Aug 16, 2009
On Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:16 PM
Please do make sure you post what your experience is. Thanks!!!
By thuanphung Comments: 25, member since Mon May 27, 2013
On Wed Apr 26, 2017 08:05 AM
Interested in seeing how this goes!
By dancingbell2017 Comments: 10, member since Tue Apr 25, 2017
On Sat May 06, 2017 08:59 AM
Can't wait to see how this turns out. Maybe if you put a sock over/in it it would be like the cloth-covered toe pads? Just a thought. Good luck!

ReplySendWatch