Forum: Adults / Parents Only

Parents Only
Dance Teacher Power Trip or Just Me?
By justwonder Comments: 3, member since Fri Apr 14, 2017
On Fri Apr 14, 2017 05:51 PM
Locked by justwonder (283079) on 2017-04-23 10:21:32 I received enough feedback and I don't want it perceived as negative. Also thought it was parents only and concern dance teacher will see it.
Locked by justwonder (283079) on 2017-04-23 10:21:58 I received enough feedback and I don't want it perceived as negative. Also thought it was parents only and concern dance teacher will see it.

Can I start by saying this is my first post. I have two daughters who dance competitively--not as much as some--but together they have 16 numbers so we do invest a lot of energy, time, and hell yes, money, too. This year, my daughters have missed zero classes...ever. Last week, we learned my eldest daughter won her speech at the school level and was qualifying for the regional speech level...during the evening. She would be missing her acro class--the first ever. The studio owner/teacher has a rule in her contract stating if you miss a class the week before a Comp, you can't compete in that number. I explained how this speech event was out of my 10 year old's control. Still, wouldn't budge. Yesterday, she pulled me aside and stated, "we can't re-Choreo the number because your daughter is bailing on the team, so I am pulling her solo instead." Obviously, we are all so hurt. Is this standard protocol? My daughter is devastated and so am I. What can we do? Does this happen everywhere? Please advise.

8 Replies to Dance Teacher Power Trip or Just Me?

re: Dance Teacher Power Trip or Just Me?
By hummingbird Comments: 10410, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Fri Apr 14, 2017 07:50 PM
Imagine if this was not a dance group but a hokey team with no subs and your daughter was the goalie, how well do you think each would receive the information that the goalie would be missing for their final practice before the big game?

I think you could answer this scenario and you know as well as I do that this wouldn't play out well.

I'm just not quite sure why dance instructors are meant to react differently from a team coach when their team members decide that they have a better offer shortly before their big competition.
By jms9t2 Comments: 29, member since Fri Mar 10, 2017
On Fri Apr 14, 2017 09:26 PM
This is an unfortunate situation for both sides and I'm sure the studio owner doesn't enjoy having to do this. However she is obligated to enforce the rules of the studio regardless of each individual student's situation. Personally I feel terrible when I have to enforce these kinds of consequences on my students but I risk the integrity of my business if I don't.
On Sat Apr 15, 2017 05:13 AM
What if the rules were applied differently for different dancers? And things weren't uniform? Still a normal protocol?
By hummingbird Comments: 10410, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:22 AM
Ok, but what is this teaching your daughter about commitment to the team if you both decide not to do the mandatory practice?
On Sat Apr 15, 2017 09:22 PM
I may be misunderstanding your question, but if I applied rules differently for different dancers, I would worry about parents accusing me of favoritism. Of course all children are different, but I try to be as consistent as I can when enforcing rules, even when it hurts.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:27 PM
justwonder wrote:

What if the rules were applied differently for different dancers? And things weren't uniform? Still a normal protocol?

So we're almost down to what you're REALLY asking. You feel like teacher plays favorites, and your kid isn't one of them, and you want us to take your side. I'm happy to get on board ("She's so awful! Precious is TOTALLY the best!!" See? I got it down...), but you gotta be honest from the jump, otherwise you get these well thought out answers that you see above, that don't help you, because they were answering what you asked, and not what you really meant.
On Sun Apr 16, 2017 05:25 PM
After never missing any practice ever and attending numerous extra classes, I am confident my daughter's level of commitment is quite high. When a child has no control over a CURRICuLAR event, (she won her school speech contest and has been selected to represent her school), she is still a 10 year old girl who is being punished for a missing a partial class. (Her dance mates go on vacation for a week at a time, and they ARE still eligible?) This I find baffling. I am really just curious: if a child becomes seriously ill and can't attend class or there is an accident in the family, would the dancer still be ineligible to compete that weekend? What qualifies as an exception? Earlier someone made a comparison to a sports team. Well, I do coach varsity sports, and I would not punish an athlete if he/she missed one practice or deprive their team or question the commitment. I thought the purpose was to promote healthy, confident, well-rounded children... And not shame them or belittle them to choose. Perhaps I need to find a more accommodating studio.
On Sun Apr 16, 2017 05:41 PM
I can't explain why students going on vacation would be exempt from the competition rule. It sounds like a double standard from the way you're describing it. My studio does not participate in a large number of competitions so I don't have a need for this kind of rule. I do give trophies for attendance at the end of the year. Exceptions that I allow to not be counted against them are illness, religious obligations, and death in the family.

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed