Forum: Irish / Irish - Adult Dancers

Irish - Adult Dancers
Considering starting dance again
By Rollypolyclub Comments: 217, member since Fri Feb 04, 2005
On Sun Apr 16, 2017 03:05 AM

Hi all! This is such a random post but I felt the need to post here! I'm considering getting back into dancing... I have 2 things that are holding me back though:
1. Getting injured. I sprained my ankles 1 after the other within 2 years and it just made me really scared to dance again... it's been 7 years now and I'm really only just starting to get over it... someone knock some sense into me and tell me this is a silly reason to not dance!

2. Achilles problems. Does anyone have any recommendations to avoid pain in the achilles? I tried getting back into dance a couple years ago and could barely get on my toes to do the warmup in the class never mind actual dancing. I need some advice on preparing my feet for dance!

I used to love dancing so much and lived, ate, breathed it! I want to have that kind of passion for something again!

Ok that's my random post done :D It's just fun reading through dance.net again and seeing what the scene is like 7 years later :D

3 Replies to Considering starting dance again

re: Considering starting dance again (karma: 1)
By rosalinde Comments: 1973, member since Fri Jun 19, 2009
On Sun Apr 16, 2017 03:56 AM
Good for you to want to go back to dance!

Why not have a doctor or physiotherapist have a look at your ankles and see if they have tips? I would suggest some braces to support your ankles and take off the strain on your achilles tendons, but your doctor will know best.

Also, take your time to ease back into it - nothing is so tempting as to just whip out that old Reel, and then find yourself crippled the day after.

Talk to your teacher. Tell them that though you have Irish Dance experience, you've also been out of it for 7 years. I don't know what other exercise you've done inbetween, but if it's little, your body is basically out of shape, and you're back to being a beginner Irish Dancer, even if your knowledge of steps is not. Perhaps start in a (significantly) lower level and take your time. A good teacher will move you back up when you're ready.

Enjoy!!!
re: Considering starting dance again
By finley314 Comments: 1, member since Sat Oct 01, 2016
On Mon Apr 17, 2017 05:55 PM
I haven't had much of a problem with achilles pain, but if it is challenging to get up on your toes, maybe set a timer for as long as you think you can stay on your toes, and just walk as high as you can for that time to build strength back up?
re: Considering starting dance again
By irishstep Comments: 103, member since Mon Nov 26, 2012
On Sun Apr 23, 2017 04:44 PM
Go gradual. I had two foot surgeries last year with 2 weeks of each other. Unfortunately I still can't do isd. So I've just been doing Irish set dancing. It's great fun and it's done all over the world.

ReplySendWatch