Forum: Highland / Highland - Costumes

Highland - Costumes
Clan pins as brooch?
By marginalia Comments: 16, member since Tue Apr 11, 2017
On Sun Apr 16, 2017 09:09 PM

I'm an adult beginner that started fairly recently, but I feel like I'm picking it up quickly! I really enjoy the dance, and I love tapping into a large part of my heritage. There's something wonderful about how regal and proud the dances are-- I love the history and tradition.

I'm thinking about starting to compete in the fall, and I'd like to honor my Scottish heritage in some way. I know that in the national dances, you're supposed to wear a brooch to attach the plaid. Instead of paying to have a plaid made out of my clan tartan (though I do plan to do that in the future!) I was hoping I could wear a kilt pin as my "brooch."

Does anyone have any experience with wearing a clan pin as a brooch, and would it be accepted under the SOBHD rules?

Thanks for your insight!

10 Replies to Clan pins as brooch?

re: Clan pins as brooch?
By keltsmama Comments: 16, member since Fri Jun 24, 2016
On Mon Apr 17, 2017 09:44 AM
There are clan pins that are circular and brooch style, rather than a "kilt pin" that you can wear on your shawl. My daughter wears our family crest as her aboyne pin.
By Panda_Bear Comments: 410, member since Tue Feb 02, 2010
On Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:04 AM
I'm an adult dancer who wears a circular clan pin on their shawl. I have seen several other dancers in my area wear them as well. I dance in premier and there are a couple others I can think of that wear the clan broach. The clan broaches seemed more common when I was prepremier.
By Bril Comments: 152, member since Thu Mar 07, 2013
On Mon Apr 17, 2017 03:43 PM
When I'm not chronically broken I dance in premier and also have a round clan broach. It's all metal, no fancy stones or shiny stuff and no one has ever commented on it one way or another.

I would be more concerned about a sword/kilt pin stabbing me by accident than anything else though!
On Wed Apr 19, 2017 08:08 AM
Thanks all! Yes, I mean a round clan pin that's all metal. Here's an example:

www.etsy.com . . .

Is there any other sort of clan pin out there? Thanks so much!
On Wed Apr 19, 2017 06:25 PM
That's pretty much the same as mine but mine is shiny because I'm half magpie at heart.
On Wed Apr 19, 2017 08:28 PM
I wish there was a "like" button on these forums : ) I appreciate your avian identity.
re: Clan pins as brooch? (karma: 1)
On Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:24 AM
Once you are a full member you can give out "karma" for posts you find especially helpful etc.

I think there's instructions on how somewhere but I don't know where to find things after the site revamp!
By Skyesbridge Comments: 320, member since Sun Feb 01, 2009
On Wed Apr 26, 2017 09:18 PM
Karma...

buttons found at bottom of comments
'PM' 'Rate+' 'Mod' 'Options' 'Edit' 'Quote' 'Reply

By clicking on Rate+ , that's giving Karma... ;)
By Katja144member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3223, member since Sat Jul 30, 2005
On Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:48 AM
The dress code just says the plaid should be fastened with "a Scottish brooch," so my guess is that a kilt pin might be okay? I know here, at least historically, we might be inclined to be nitpicky about the exact definition of "brooch"-- like, will any pin do, or does it have to be something definitely sold as a ladies' brooch, etc.-- but I've always felt the exacting debate is a bit too picky and I'm not sure any judge is going to care that much (especially since I'm not sure how visible said brooches are from the platform).
By rosalinde Comments: 1973, member since Fri Jun 19, 2009
On Sun Jul 09, 2017 02:05 AM
My first Aboyne was Dress Stewart (because that's a real tartan one can just find at any fabric shop at a good price), and I wore the Stewart clan crest badge, which my parents bought at a local Games(again, because it was a cheap option). It worked fine.

ReplySendWatch