Forum: Advice / Secrets PG-13

Secrets PG-13
Information on FMLA
By Anonymousmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 27666, member since Fri Aug 03, 2001
On Sun Apr 23, 2017 08:52 PM

I know that every job is different and I am going to be taking to HR tomorrow, but I was just wondering of people's experience with FMLA.

I don't know if I will even be covered at my job but basically my great-grandmother, who is 98 years old and has lived by herself, had to be rushed to the hospital and is now in a rehabilitation center. They have her in the ward for people only staying a short time but I worry that it will be longer and I know that she is going to need someone there for her as much as possible to advocate for her.

No there is no one else who can do it.

If I, or the situation, does not qualify for FMLA I am thinking of taking as much vacation time as I can and if she is not back home by then, I would probably have to quit. While I was not planning on staying at this job forever, this is leaving MUCH earlier than I had ever thought.

This is all happening so fast and I am really Floundering for what to do and what is the right decision.

1 Replies to Information on FMLA

re: Information on FMLA
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Wed Apr 26, 2017 07:33 PM
When I had my son I took the full twelve weeks of FMLA. I was put on leave a little surprisingly, I'd taken my weeks vacation from my job, that I was entitled to, and during a doctors appointment during that week, was told that I was unable to return to work.

The company tried to fire me for taking the leave. When that didn't work, they wrote me up, for using my vacation to extend the amount of leave time that I got.

I reported them to the government for not following the terms of the leave, but I knew basically nothing was going to come of it, and I was right - nothing did. :/

My sister took her leave after having her daughter, and when she came back, her employer told her that because she hadn't been drawing a paycheck for them to take health insurance deductions out of her check, that they'd be taking them now. She worked for six weeks essentially for free, while they took the current and back payments for her health insurance. She works an hour from home, so it's quite the output of cash for her.

I understand why it's a necessity, but it's also poorly controlled, and the employers don't always follow it through like they say that they will. :( Do what you have to do, but don't expect that it's going to go smooth and easy.

ReplySendWatch