Forum: Music

Music for Once Upon A Time Theme
By MissMelissa42
On Tue Apr 25, 2017 06:09 AM

Hi I'm looking for some songs to use for our Once Upon A Time recital themed show. I have students from ages 4-16 so songs for all ages and styles will help! Thanks

6 Replies to Music for Once Upon A Time Theme

re: Music for Once Upon A Time Theme
By hummingbird
On Tue Apr 25, 2017 08:36 AM
I'm using the Sammy Davis Jr version of Sweet Gingerbread Man for a Hansel and Gretel themed dance this year. One of Benjamin Britten's Sea Interludes from the opera Peter Grimes for a senior ballet group with a Little Mermaid theme. I also found a techno version of Saint Saens Aquarium that I'm using for a very young Jazz group.

This is also a fantastic recording for ballet groups and I'm using Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf with some sound affects added.

www.amazon.com . . .

I hope that's given you a few ideas.
By jms9t2
On Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:21 PM
I used the song Little Red Riding Hood by Chuck and the Hulas last year. There are a lot of Dr. Seuss options that are popular. We also used the Wizard of Oz medley done by Pentatonix.
By ChristinePremium member
On Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:28 PM
The Sleeping Beauty ballet music (Tchaikovsky) has many variations to choose from. Also, Cinderella, both the ballet (Prokofiev) and the musical (Rodgers + Hammerstein)

The musical Peter Pan or Neverland, which is a musical about how the play,Peter Pan, came to be.

Beauty and the Beast, of course, and many other Disney selections, as they all tend to have music that LOVES to dance.

Hansel and Gretel, the musical as well as the opera, have lots to choose from.

If you want to take some artistic license, "You're So Vein", the Carly Simon song would work for, The Emperor's New Clothes.

The Magic Fish Bone, is a fairy tale based on the idea of making just one wish, so the Faith Hill song, "The way you love me" could work...First line, "If I could grant you one wish...." or for that matter, it could work for Aladin, but again, Disney has lots of good music to choose. Pinocchio is especially nice, also Tangled (Rapunzel) Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs, again...Sleeping beauty and Peter Pan. Alice in Wonderland is good too.

Once Upon A Mattress, is based on the fairy tale of The Princess and the Pea, but I find the music just a bit odd (my opinion)

Good luck

Keep On Dancing*
By Jenny1661Premium member
On Mon May 01, 2017 09:41 AM
Sounds like a fun theme! :) A few more ideas to add to those above:

Disney's Brave soundtrack has some great songs, including Touch the Sky and Learn Me Right.

A Little Princess soundtrack is good too. Has a lot of Indian inspired music, which makes sense if you're familiar with the story.

The Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters soundtrack has more industrial/metal type music which could work for an older group.

There is a TV show called Once Upon A Time. I've not seen it, but I would look into the music they use.
By snowwhite74
On Wed Jun 07, 2017 05:31 PM
That happened to be my recital theme from this year and the kids loved it.

We used a lot of music from Descendants Movie
Waiting for the Lights - Rapunzel
Cruella DeVile
Princess and the Frog Music
Beauty and the Beast
Aladdin
Brave
Toy Story
Mad Hatter
Sleeping Beauty
By netmum
On Tue Aug 01, 2017 09:29 AM
Lots of potential songs in Shrek (the stage musical version) that you could use.

ReplySendWatch