Forum: Irish / Irish - Adult Dancers

Irish - Adult Dancers
Just started ID!
By hrael Comments: 1, member since Thu Apr 27, 2017
On Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:20 AM

Hey everyone! I just took my second ID class on wednesday and I really love it.

A bit about myself. I'm 24 with no dance experience whatsoever. Initially I wanted to take tap but the schedule for classes didn't fit my own and ID classes in my area kept popping up so I decided to check it out; so glad I did!

I was so nervous about dance classes since I didn't know what to expect, but, after finding out they are more laid back than I thought they would be, now I look forward to them!
I learned 7's, overs, and skips the first day and just learned the first steps of a beginner reel this week.

I'm learning with young kids (ages 5-12ish) and felt really silly and out of place at first but its turning out perfectly fine. The assistants to the instructor are just a few years younger than me so I don't feel too out of place. I imagine this would be harder for new male dancers, but shouldn't let this stop them.

I hope this inspires someone else to take up this unique form of dance!

2 Replies to Just started ID!

re: Just started ID!
By megangwood Comments: 22, member since Fri Nov 28, 2014
On Sun Jun 04, 2017 07:11 PM
Welcome to ID! That's exciting that you're enjoying your classes! It can be a bit weird at first being with the kids, but you probably won't notice it soon! I'd definitely take a look at the adult Irish dancers Facebook page as well. The community there is very active, especially compared to dance.net. Hope to see you over there! :)
re: Just started ID!
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4234, member since Sat Feb 03, 2007
On Sun Jun 18, 2017 09:36 AM
Welcome to the crazy sport of Irish dance!! Meagangwood is right, the FB page is more active than this one is (though it used to be great in its day!) The page is "adult Irish dancers - bet your mammy can't do this!)

ReplySendWatch