Forum: Advice / Strengthening

Strengthening
Rolling shoulders forward
By Kaitlyn5 Comments: 4, member since Mon Nov 28, 2016
On Sat Apr 29, 2017 06:46 AM

Ok so my dance teacher says I roll my shoulders forward! I really struggle to hold them back , 1 because it causes me pain all through my shoulders and 2 because when I'm dancing there are so many things to think about and I forget. Does anyone have any tips on how to strengthen or re train my shoulders! Or any exercises
Thanks

3 Replies to Rolling shoulders forward

re: Rolling shoulders forward
By dancingbell2017 Comments: 10, member since Tue Apr 25, 2017
On Sat Apr 29, 2017 09:08 PM
Try doing some back-ups while (like sit ups but on your stomach) taking your arms from fifth to second position and then down. You might eat to do that with a partner but you ca also do it on your own. She kind of does it in this video (www.youtube.com . . .), but before you go down, stay up and open your arms to second. Remember to engage your arms and core and to keep your heart forward while dancing. You also might be tensing up your shoulders too much. Engaging your latissimus dorsi muscles (they're like under your armpits and down your side) might help too. My teacher told us to put our hands on our hips, bring our elbows forward, but keep our shoulders back and down. All of this helped be hold my shoulders so I hope this helps you!
By MLoucadoux Comments: 11, member since Sun Jun 11, 2017
On Tue Jun 13, 2017 08:59 AM
Try placing your forearms and hands to your sides with your palms up (like you're holding two server trays to your sides at your waist) and then press your elbows to the ground without moving your hands. Press them down for one minute at a time as vigorously as you can and then release and start over. That will strengthen the muscles you need to keep your shoulders down AND back. (It's a combination of muscles that you need to use). You could also try duck taping your shoulder blades together (while you're at home) and trying a few exercises! Hope this helps!
By CinderEmma Comments: 135, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:08 PM
For strengthening your shoulders you can try seated arm circles, stretching curls, wing stretches, scapula push-ups, parallel bar-presses, flagman presses, arm-over stretches, and shoulder flops.

ReplySendWatch