Forum: General / Tap / Tap

Tap
when to move to advanced tap shoes
By jms9t2 Comments: 29, member since Fri Mar 10, 2017
On Sun Apr 30, 2017 09:26 PM

At what age or level do you all move your students from a basic beginner's shoe to a more advanced tap shoe? I have been waiting until my students are about middle school age, partially to be cost-conscious for parents. But I am wondering if they should be switching over sooner. I would love to get your opinions. Thanks!

1 Replies to when to move to advanced tap shoes

re: when to move to advanced tap shoes
By netmum Comments: 478, member since Sun Jul 02, 2006
On Thu May 04, 2017 03:28 AM
What do you class as an "Advanced tap shoe"?

When my dd first started tap all the little children wore a little tap shoe that tied with ribbons. They looked cute and were inexpensive. We are talking 5-7 year olds.

From around the age of 8/9 onwards the kids all started wearing Oxford style tap shoes. The older ones liked split soles,there was no specific age when they changed over, just when shoes needed replacing the older kids liked the lace ups.

However when she moved to a full time vocation ballet/dance school aged 11 all students were required to wear a black Oxford full sole tap shoe. That's everyone from 11 year olds right up to professional diploma students about to graduate and start auditioning for professional jobs. The price can vary from about £30GBP up to around £90GBP depending whether you go for synthetic, leather, and what brand you choose. My dd finds Bloch fit her fairly wide foot best, others prefer Capezio or other brands.

Of course at a full time college some of the students also have New Yorkers with taps on for specific routines but I guess that's not what you are asking.

ReplySendWatch