Forum: Competitions

competition scoring
By jms9t2
On Sun May 07, 2017 09:36 PM

Has anyone else noticed a trend at competitions to give higher awards each year? My students have attended the same couple competitions for several years. When we first attended, most students received high gold or platinum. Now at the same competition, dances that used to be of the high gold caliber are receiving platinums, and the dances previously receiving platinums are now given double platinums. I know that competitions are businesses and they want to keep their customers happy and coming back. My teachers and I are feeling frustrated that it seems hard to really gauge progress when the standards seem to be shifting all the time. Has anyone experienced this or have any thoughts on it?

6 Replies to competition scoring

re: competition scoring
By hummingbird
On Mon May 08, 2017 12:35 PM
We've noticed that the medal placings are changing, lower medals, in our area it's bronzes, are starting to not be offered at some events. I hate it, it's blowing sunshine up the kids butts. One of my groups came off stage after a dreadful performance saying 'At least we didn't get a bronze' the only reason they didn't get bronze was because silver was the new bronze.
By kr_WDance
On Sun May 14, 2017 04:56 PM
Yes! It's so frustrating! I've seen some comps only give 2 awards High Gold and Platinums (even though all the other medals gold, high silver, silver, etc are still listed in the rulebook)

They have gotten higher each year. I haven't seen anything below a gold in years.

It stinks. It's all about the money and customers coming back and as a result too many kids are given the same award and it means nothing. I also think it has a lot to do with too many entry levels like novice, intermediate, and competitive. The category awards are so silly too. Like they give a first place trophy when there is 1 person in their category.
By jms9t2
On Sun May 14, 2017 09:31 PM
That is exactly what I'm thinking. It's so clear they're just trying to make money. Meanwhile, I've got one dancer who's on her fifth year of doing solos and another of the same age, same style, on her first solo. Two very different dances skill and performance-wise and they both placed the same! How do I explain this to the first girl who's been working her butt off for 5 years? The placements don't mean anything and it's impossible to tell if the dancing/choreography is really progressing.
By kr_WDance
On Sun May 21, 2017 09:24 AM
I always explain to my dancers that the scoring really doesn't matter... It is so subjective. It's just what those 3 judges thought about you that one time they saw you dance for 3 minutes.. If you get a platinum, great, they appreciated and recognized your technique and hard work. I love when they place because another set of eyes wanted to give them recognition. If not, it's not the end of the world.

Some of my dancers have begun to think they are platinum level dancers, and I'm looking at them like you are competing a lyrical solo and only taking 1 ballet a week... what do you expect? (when they get a lower score at a harder competition.)

Plus the judges may not score the same way on Friday that they score on Sunday. They may be tired. They may have heard the song 1 too many times. They may have seen an outstanding dance the number before. I've even seen them staring at their phone for part of the dance. They are human and while I appreciate and value their feedback, I don't think the medal is that important.

I like to explain the pros of competition: more performance opportunities, opportunities to see and be inspired by other dancers/choreographers, judges critiques, increased ability to adapt to different settings (example size of the stage, flooring, lighting, crossover space); replicating the feel of an audition, etc...

There are way too many competitions out there and it is so clear that their number 1 priority is being a business. However, I have to remind myself of the pros when I'm feeling frustrated by them because unfortunately, I don't think they are shifting back.
By Sappersis
On Wed May 24, 2017 08:05 PM
We've begun adding "difficult" competitions to the season each year to ensure they really continue to push themselves to get better. Either I'll place them in a category higher then they are used to competition or we choose a competition with more advanced studio's attending.

I imagine at some point in time they will add another level of excellence like "ultimate double diamond" and then we will no longer have a high gold... and on it goes.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jun 12, 2017 01:53 PM
Ooh, the Double Platinum. I hate the stupid Double Platinum (Hi, anyone from Applause that's reading this! I'll name ya, no worries!). It was obviously intended to encourage, and it sort of has the opposite effect, cause the kids come out and they're like "Cool. I got a Platinum. But so did literally everybody else that came?" So it ends up turning around, and discouraging kids, because if they're all getting Super Quintupple Diamond, then who cares? They gotta have a little something to work for.

ReplySendWatch