Forum: Arts / Pets

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Pets
We Just Bought a Dog
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4741, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Fri May 12, 2017 12:12 PM

The dog is, I think, a Jack Russell and Chihuahua mix. We bought him this past Monday. Already, my dad is having second thoughts about the dog. I can see that my dad bought the dog on an impulse. We all know that's the absolute wrong reason to buy a pet. The day we brought the dog home, I told my dad, "We'll need to get some dog food for tonight, and put some papers down in the utility room for him.". My dad went out and bought the dog food, but left him in the kitchen and living room. The Dog, Alex, did two loads, and peed. Of course, we were upset, but I suppose that was to be expected until we can train him and get him completely used to us. I just cleaned it up and used a Clorox Sanitary Wipe to disinfect the area. Last night, he peed on the corner of the bedspread.

My dad is seriously considering taking the dog back to the pound. My heart breaks for the dog, since he's already bonded with us. I had a feeling the honeymoon period would wear off very quickly. My dad was miffed at having to go out and get the dog food, and balked at the cost of having him neutered, This suggests to me that my dad was caught unawares at the time and expense that would be entailed in taking care of the dog. I've told my dad three times within that past 24 hours, "You bought this dog on an impulse. You should have considered all of these things before you rushed out and bought him.".

36 Replies to We Just Bought a Dog

re: We Just Bought a Dog
By hummingbird Comments: 10441, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sat May 13, 2017 11:29 AM
You have a responsibility to the dog now, so does your dad, that responsibility is going to last for around 14 to 15 years with the breeds he's from. Just like a kid it'll take time to train him :)

I think your idea of the utility room at night time is probably easiest whilst he's being house trained though.

I have to say I'm a little bit speechless that anyone would by a dog and not buy dog food.
By CinderEmma Comments: 151, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Sat May 13, 2017 11:34 AM
All I know is that regardless of who bought Alex, somebody needs to take care of Alex or he needs to be returned. And from the way it sounds, your dad may not be the best one for the job in my opinion.
On Sat May 13, 2017 12:32 PM
I must say, Alex has been real good with the other dogs in the neighborhood, and they've been real good with him. He still pulls and tugs at the leash, but he's starting to get better about tugging and pulling at the leash now when I've taken him for a walk. He's obeying the command to Heel. He seems to listen to me a bit better, since I'm a bit quieter with him. My dad can at times get somewhat gruff with him. My dad is going to look into buying an electric invisible fence. That way, Alex will stay in the yard.

As on buying the dog food the first night he had him, my dad thought he wouldn't have to get the food that night. He thought the people at the pound or shelter were going to deliver the dog, and they were going to supply the dog food for that night.

I've warned my dad, "Something else to consider is if he starts digging in the yard when we put him out.". As on putting him into the utility room at night, we'll have to paper-train him. My dad put Alex out in the garage last night. I heard him crying for us. That shows how the dog has already bonded with us. I brought him in from the garage.
On Mon May 15, 2017 09:27 AM
Two nights ago, we had him in the garage. I don't how he got there. I didn't put him there, and neither did my dad. I him the dog cry piteously. I went out and brought him inside. Last night, we put him in the utility room. He was real good about it. I certainly praised him warmly for it. We're working to train him to go into the utility room so that he'll get comfortable with going in there. I noticed that while he did cry for us, he did not cry as much.

He still tugs and pulls at the leash. I still have to pull him back to me, and tall him "No!". I hope he doesn't interpret that as my being mean to him. I would never want to be mean to a dog or any other animal. I try not to lose my grip in the leash. If I lost my grip on the leash, I know he's be out on the main highway before I could bat an eyelash.
By hummingbird Comments: 10441, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Mon May 15, 2017 11:00 AM
He will interpret you saying no to him exactly as he should. You are not pleased with his actions and he needs to smarten up to get praise from you. Dogs want praise from their owners but he also has to learn his place in your pack, the only way he'll learn this is by knowing when you're not plead with him. Just like with kids there are times when they need some touch love otherwise they'll never know where the boundaries are. keep saying no when you need to.
On Tue May 16, 2017 08:31 AM
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-05-16 08:32:17 word deletion
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-05-16 08:37:08 spelling and grammar
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-05-16 08:38:26 spelling and grammar
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-05-16 08:41:18 spelling and grammar
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-05-16 08:42:03 spelling and grammar
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-05-16 08:45:52 additonal info
I'm a diehard animal lover so I've seen a lot of television shows on the Animal Planet channel. One particular show that I think is just perfect for this occasion is "Cesar Malon: Dog Whisperer." Cesar is a dog psychologist that goes around to dog owners' houses and helps them retrain their dogs by teaching the dog owners how to be effective pack leaders.

In the animal world, there are either leaders or followers--never both. Dogs are pack animals and your household is the dog's "pack". It doesn't matter if you are a human or a dog, to Alex you are either a leader or a follower. You need to show Alex that you are a leader, and the very first thing Cesar teaches dog owners about becoming effective pack leaders is that when they give commands that they need to be CALM and ASSERTIVE.

Dogs can sense nervousness and indecisiveness, and in the wild, a dog isn't going to follow another dog (or human) if that dog to be followed is indecisive or unsure about its decisions. A dog isn't going to follow someone who is nervous or panics. A dog is going to follow the strong, calm and confident, because that is what dogs look for in strong pack leaders. In other words, you need to earn Alex's respect by letting him know that he is better off trusting you and following you and that you know what you are doing (as opposed to the other way around).

For example, when Alex tugs at your leash, he is trying to establish dominance over you. He thinks he is the pack leader and you are the follower. Don't let the dog tugging at the leash bother you because that shows weakness. Instead of thinking to yourself "I really wish Alex will stop tugging at this leash", think and act like "I know Alex is pulling at the leash but it doesn't bother me because I'm in charge, not Alex." Teach Alex that to be in the "pack", one of the rules he has to follow is that "dogs in the pack do not tug at the leash". Once Alex is submissive, then reward him with hugs and kisses.

This does not happen overnight and it takes MOST work to train a dog. But don't take my word for it as I am not a dog trainer. I've never even had a dog. Fortunately, it sounds like things are going better with Alex so you might be able to get by without a dog training class. But either way, I HIGHLY SUGGEST that you watch at least one episode of Cesar Malon because it is SO informative and it will open your eyes to a whole new way of training a dog.
On Tue May 16, 2017 09:23 AM
Alex has been doing very well in going into the utility room at night. I've praised him warmly each morning. We keep his bed and food dish in the utility room, too, to train him to get used to going in there. The very first night we put papers down in the utility room, he went in there to pee. He seemed already to know that that's where he was expected to go. I praised him for it. When he walks more calmly beside me, I praise him for that, too. We're going to have to train him not to jump up at us. I've seen him jump up at other people in the neighborhood, just to get to know the other people. That jumping up at people, while harmless, must not be allowed.
On Thu May 18, 2017 06:46 PM
We're going to look into getting a harness for Alex. A harness may be more manageable than the leash. We can take him to a pet store near where we live so that he can get properly fitted for one.

We're going to really watch the dog now that a female dog at the end of the street is coming into heat. That's when we're going to really have to control Alex.

By the way, Cinderemma, have you got any ideas on paper-training a dog? Alex is house-broken, which is good, but he needs to be paper-trained for when we put him into the utility room st night, or if we need to leave him alone during the day.
On Sat May 20, 2017 05:48 AM
No, sorry. Like I've said, I've never actually owned a dog. I just know a lot about their behaviour because I'm such an animal lover. But I'm quite sure there are a lot of other people out there who would know. Perhaps you could ask someone else who also has a dog, or maybe even someone at the pet shop the next time you purchase dog food? Maybe somebody else here on dancenet knows and they will help you out once they see this thread.
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15032, member since Thu Feb 14, 2002
On Sun May 21, 2017 12:46 AM
I volunteer with an animal rescue as an adoption counselor/animal care/a little bit of everything.

How old is this dog? An adult dog (1 year or older) does not need to be "paper trained." An adult dog can hold its business overnight and be let out first thing in the morning. If you are leaving your dog alone for long enough that it has to go to the bathroom in the house, you are leaving your dog alone for too long. A housetrained dog will not go in the house, nor should you expect it to.

Puppies will, but puppy pad training is just a stopover before full housetraining, because puppies can't hold it for as long as adult dogs.

Dominance theory has been completely disproven. Put all of that right out of your head - any reputable trainer will tell you that it's hooey. The best way to train an animal is by using positive reinforcement.

You need to get your dog fixed as soon as possible. If Alex is a puppy, he should not have been adopted out before he was ready to be fixed. If he is over eight weeks old and over two pounds, get him fixed. Now.

A harness can help with pulling on the leash. Depending on the dog, there are lots of options available to you. I encourage you to speak with the shelter you got Alex from and ask what trainers they recommend. Even just one session will help you a lot. Other leash training options: a martingale collar (which tightens when they pull, but isn't a choke collar) or, if he pulls a LOT, a [gentle leader](www.petsafe.net . . .). I don't think it sounds like a gentle leader is necessary. You just need to leash train him. But if you're having trouble controlling the leash when he pulls, a harness is a good option. It also puts less stress on his neck.

Bring treats with you on the walks. Show Alex a treat as you walk and get him to look at you. He'll walk beside you, looking up, because you're holding a treat. If you see another dog or a distraction during your walk, get Alex to sit and look at you until the distraction passes. Always bring a bag of treats on walks for training! This can help with jumping, too - get him to sit and stay when he meets people. Even better, have the people he meets give him treats for sitting!

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions. I'm rarely on DDN but I'll try to check in or you can PM me.
On Sun May 21, 2017 03:04 PM
Thanks Heart. That's a great idea to take some treats with me when I take Alex for a walk tonight.

I wish you could hear my dad yelling and screaming at the dog. I can see that the dog is getting terrified. My dad thinks he's being firm, but he gets nasty. That's certainly no way to train a dog.
On Tue May 23, 2017 10:30 AM
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-05-23 10:36:05 additonal info
I agree. Besides, if your dad is all nasty, that is just going to make the dog more nervous and harder to train. Positve reinforcement works a whole lot better then negative reinforcement. Regardless of the dominance therory, your dad getting nasty to the dog is neither him being CALM, nor is it him being ASSERTIVE. Maybe your dad should try the doggie treat idea?
On Tue May 23, 2017 02:50 PM
Last night, Alex began to cry and whimper all of a sudden. He had been asleep about 10:30 or 11:00. I head him suddenly whimper and downright sob. I went to check on him. He shot out of the utility room. Right away, he went to the front door. I put his leash on him, and took him outside. I brought him back inside, and tried to calm him. For whatever reason, he just would not get calm. I finally got him calmed down an hour and a half later. I couldn't believe he would not let me take the leash off him. If I tried to take off of him, he jumped up and shot out of the utility room again. I had to leave the leash on him, and he fell asleep. I don't have any idea what could have spooked him like that. He's always been real good about going into the utility room. I always praise him and give him a treat for being good. He was fine this morning. We always leave a nightlight on in the utility room for him.

I have to say, too, that I think we are going to have to start paper-training Alex, because I don't know what we'd do if the weather is bad and we can't take Alex out when he has to do his business. We do have paper down in the utility room. My dad seems to think the dog will instinctively know to go into the utility room.
On Mon May 29, 2017 08:33 AM
How cute is this? While I was in the bathroom last night and a few nights ago, Alex came up to the door and whimpered and cried for me. I think that shows how strongly he's bonded with me.
By webstArmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3639, member since Wed Jan 15, 2003
On Sat Jun 03, 2017 08:22 AM
I'd encourage you (and your dad!) to check out Zak George's youtube channel (www.youtube.com . . .) on how to train a dog. Especially for your dad, because a lot of what he thinks should be "instinct" is very misguided. Zak George talks about the myth of dominance in dogs, and his training all focuses on positive reinforcement training. It has been shown time and time again that positive reinforcement is the most effective way to train a happy, obedient dog.

My husband and I just got a dog over 3 weeks ago, and we've been following his methods for training and we've been very pleased with the progress with our pup so far.

I would also do some reading regarding specific breeds, just to have an idea of certain characteristics when it come to Jack Russel's (although no dog fits their breed description perfectly!) I would also read about the age your dog is, and what your realistic expectations should be with your dog when it comes to house training and behaviour in general.

Good luck!
On Sat Jun 03, 2017 09:23 AM
Edited by maureensiobhan (80481) on 2017-06-03 09:27:49 wanted to add a bit more information about Alex
We've consulted two trainers in the area. Just as I suspected, they charge into the three figures for a two-week training session. I told my dad, "The training isn't going to be cheap. It's going to be expensive. You have to think of the labor involved.".

I must say, Alex seems to be happier to see me than he is to see my dad. I think it's because I'm a bit quieter, and pay him a bit more attention. I've noticed that whenever my dad pays any attention to the dog, my dad can be louder and quite gruff.

Alex is a Miniature Pincher, by the way, and he's a year old.
On Thu Jun 08, 2017 02:37 PM
I wish you could hear my dad moaning and complaining about Alex. I asked my dad today, "Why did you buy this dog?". My dad said, "I don't know. I screwed up. If he's got to go, he's got to go.". I honestly don't have any idea what my dad was expecting. I can see that the dog is terrified of my dad.

I think it would be downright cruel to Alex if my dad takes him back to the pound. Alex has become very attached to us by now so that I think it would traumatize him to have him ripped out of here.
On Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:39 AM
It sounds like you and Alex have developed a very deep and wonderful, loving relationship with each other. Your dad may have bought the dog, but maybe you and Alex were meant for each other. I also think it would be cruel to return Alex. It sounds like he loves you very much. :)
On Fri Jun 09, 2017 07:42 PM
We took Alex to the vet today to get him fixed. Over the next three or four days, long walks to the park and back are not an option until he's fully healed. For right now, I'll just take him out for a gentle stroll in the front yard. The vet gave us some pain meds for any pain. The vet told us too not to let Alex jump or run.
On Thu Jun 15, 2017 01:04 PM
Forgive me if I seem to be monopolizing this thread. By his own admission, my dad has no idea how to train a dog. I still cannot for the life of me understand why he bought a dog when he knew he doesn't know how to train Alex or any other dog. Years ago, we had another dog whom my dad said he loved. I think he was expecting Alex to be the same as the other dog.

I think my dad is definitely going to return Alex to the pound. I feel so sad for Alex. As I said, it's going to be so cruel to return the dog after he's grown so attached to us now. I have no idea why my dad did not stop to consider the time, expense, and effort that would have to be invested in taking care of a dog, before he dashed out and bought a dog.
On Sun Jun 18, 2017 02:32 PM
What about if you took charge of ALex? I'm an animal lover and I just can't bare to think about Alex going back to the pound. It makes me sad. :(
On Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:01 AM
As well as the time, money, and effort that would have to be invested in taking care of Alex, I would have thought that my dad, buy his own admission, has no idea of how to train a dog could and should have been a pretty good indication that he should not have gone out and bought a dog. One more thing that my dad did not take time to consider is that when I begin on-the-job training for pharmacy stock clerk, I will not be able to be here at home to help care of Alex. I'll be at the pharmacy only part-time (20 hours per week), but that's still enough time away from home that I cannot be at home to help take care of Alex. My dad is 84 years old now, so he can't take care of a dog any more. So, I think Alex will have to be sold :) . I can't bear to think of Alex having to be sold :) . I suppose we could take the cutest picture possible of Alex, and post a "Dog for sale" notice at the grocery store. I hope the dog will go to a good home.

I still cannot think for the life of me why my dad did not think to consider all of these things before he rushed out and bought the dog. I've seen online that the Min Pin is the type of breed that needs a lot of vigorous exercise, stimulation, and interaction. I wish you could see Alex play with the dogs at the end of the street. I can see that he's having the time of his life interacting with other dogs. His facial expression is one of happiness. It's the same when I take him for a run down the street and then a brisk walk to and from the park.
re: We Just Bought a Dog (karma: 1)
On Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:32 AM
That's too bad, but I think it is what's best in the interest of Alex. (I just don't want him to go back to the pound.) I'm sure Alex will miss you, but if he finds another family that has the resources, time and energy to take care of him, then Alex will truly be happy.
re: We Just Bought a Dog (karma: 1)
On Thu Jul 06, 2017 02:09 PM
I just had to tell you about this.

Yesterday afternoon, when I broke my wrist (for the second time in nine months), Alex seemed to sense that something was different about me, and that I was in a lot of pain. Through the evening, he gave me lots of love and kisses. He kept licking at me, which would be the same as kissing me, and he jumped up at me frequently, which would the same as giving me some big hugs. He tried to get me to play with him, which might his message, "Don't worry. I'll help make it better.".

I thought Alex was such a sweet little guy last night :) .
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch