Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Pointe - General
Slightly Ill-fitting Shoes
By DanceHeart99member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 200, member since Mon Nov 21, 2011
On Mon May 15, 2017 05:16 PM

I've recently started wearing Bloch European balance which are absolutely perfect in terms of box and shank harness, box shape, ect. However, the size 6 is slightly too small in the length and cuts into my heel so much that the back of one heel has been completely numb since starting to wear the shoes. After that pair, I went half size up, but now the heel is a bit too baggy for my liking and I slide around just the tiniest bit. Its really frustrating because I love the shoes in all other respects.

My question would be is there any way to either create a little more space in the too-small size, or sew the too-big size so that they fit more snugly? I already cross my elastics and sew the ribbons fairly far foreword in the big size and remove the drawstring of the small size. I realize there is probably no solution to this problem but I just wondered if any of you have some other ideas :)

2 Replies to Slightly Ill-fitting Shoes

re: Slightly Ill-fitting Shoes
By Gracie220 Comments: 51, member since Tue Feb 24, 2015
On Tue May 16, 2017 08:24 AM
I'd be interested in feedback on this, too. I have a couple different trial-and-error pairs of pointe shoes that are barely used because they're just a little too small (naturally, I sewed ribbons and elastics on them anyway, thinking I could make them work lol - so I couldn't exchange them for a bigger size). Since they're currently just collecting dust, I wouldn't mind playing around with trying to alter them.

I know Kathryn Morgan, in a few of her YouTube videos, has recommended cutting the lining in the shoes if your feet swell and you need them a little wider. I wonder if something similar can be done for length?
re: Slightly Ill-fitting Shoes
By Serendipity42Premium member Comments: 2268, member since Sun Aug 16, 2009
On Wed May 17, 2017 04:56 AM
If you are on the "scary place" BT4D, then there's a post about seaming the heel.

"Seaming the heel-Usually I start with having DD try on the shoes and go up en pointe. Just doing this creates a little fold in the satin in the heel where it is baggy. If I pinch it with my fingers it will make a crease on the shoe that helps me know where to place the fold. Then she takes them off and I use a stick pin to hold a pleat along that crease. I usually sew about a one to one and a quarter inch long seam taking in about 3/8 of an inch of fabric. I use craft thread, since it is strong but more pliable than dental floss or the tread in a stitch kit. you have to put a seam on each side of the shoe on both shoes, I try to make sure that I make each seam the same size. I whip stitch (thats just in and out sewing the seam in place) on both the inside and the outside. I think this is hard to visualize, I wish I had a picture I could post. I have two pair at home that need to be seamed, so I will try to photograph the process and post the pictures."

You'll need to be on there to see any images though. You might find something on YouTube, if you look, however.

ReplySendWatch