Forum: Ballet / Ballet - General

Ballet - General
More flexible 'bendy' feet tips?
By rosalinde Comments: 1973, member since Fri Jun 19, 2009
On Tue May 16, 2017 11:53 PM

I am looking for tips to get more flexible feet and thought I pop by the Ballet section.

I'm a Highland and Irish dancer and I have no flexibility in my body if it kills me. I don't mind that as I also seem to be impervious to injuries because of that.

The trouble is that my feet have a similar lack of flexibility. When I point my feet my arch is straight and in soft shoes it seems I barely point at all (and I am a teacher at both dance forms so I know when to point). My toes are very short and do not bend. I don't need to do pointe work so the fact I cannot do toe stands because I cannot go over the box isn't important. I just want to show I can point my feet properly.

Does anyone have tips on how to stretch/exercise my feet? It seems to have gotten worse as I get older (I'm 41 now) and it frustrates me. Thanks!

1 Replies to More flexible 'bendy' feet tips?

re: More flexible 'bendy' feet tips?
By Serendipity42Premium member Comments: 2267, member since Sun Aug 16, 2009
On Wed May 17, 2017 04:48 AM
At this stage, there is very little you can do to make your feet more flexible. The bones are set. To try to make them more "bendy" would be dangerous.

That said, you can strengthen what you have by doing theraband exercises.

I have similar feet - flat arch, straight instep, coupled with the fact that one of my ankles is mostly metal due to a skating accident. I still do pointe work, though, and have a lot of strength. My "metal" foot looks like it's never fully pointed, but the other one has some ability.

All you can do is your best. Safer to enjoy what you do than damage yourself for an ideal...

ReplySendWatch