Forum: Highland / Highland - Costumes

Highland - Costumes
Anyone try Hullachan Red?
By marginalia Comments: 16, member since Tue Apr 11, 2017
On Wed May 17, 2017 03:03 PM

Hello everyone, another message from me! Wondering if anyone out there has tried the Hullachan Highland Red ghillie yet: www.antoniopacelli.com . . .

I know that the HHC and the Pros are more common, but I have wide feet and short toes that leave a huge gap at the end of most shoes, and ghillies are no exception. These seem made for folks with feet like mine, which seems like a godsend! That said, I'm wondering how it fits; I mostly see fit guides and reviews for their Irish shoes, not Highland shoes. It's also hard for me to really gauge my shoe size, since I end up wearing a 7M in women's, but my Bloch dance size is a 3.5E (5.5 Extra Wide!)

Can anyone speak to how Hullachan Reds -- or at least Hullachans-- fit? Do I size up? Down? Physically measure my foot? Thanks!

3 Replies to Anyone try Hullachan Red?

re: Anyone try Hullachan Red?
By Claramel Comments: 35, member since Tue Oct 13, 2015
On Wed May 17, 2017 05:09 PM
I would really like to know the answer to this too! I would recommend emailing the website and asking what size they recommend, it's worked for me in the past.

I'm the opposite: narrow foot with a long 2nd toe. Shoes with a seam at the front hurt my 2nd toe too much but the open toe shoes are generally a wider shoe and too wide for my foot (reel point pro is the exception). I really want to try the new hullachan reds because they have more padding and I don't think they would 'gap' as much above the toe like the other models do.
re: Anyone try Hullachan Red? (karma: 1)
By Katja144member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3223, member since Sat Jul 30, 2005
On Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:44 AM
I was one of the testers when Craig was coming out with this line, and had the Reds-- here is what I can tell you, with the caveat that he may have made design changes since the test pair, so you should take this with a grain of salt.

My feet are narrow, with tapered toes, and the reds didn't work that well for me. I did think they would be better for a wider foot. Also, the toe seemed quite round to me, so I thought they might also work for a more square toe shape.

As far as sizing, Craig estimated that my 8-8.5 U.S. shoe size would fit a size 6.5 Hullachan Red (usually in shoes I wear a 3-3.5, it seems, but I believe he Hullachan sizing is different than most brands). They did, however (after a few months of consistent wear for practice), eventually stretch to be a bit larger than I would prefer. Part of this (a large part, as I recall) was the width, but also the length. They didn't look terrible, but for competition I would prefer them smaller/more snug in fit.
re: Anyone try Hullachan Red?
By Claramel Comments: 35, member since Tue Oct 13, 2015
On Thu Jun 01, 2017 05:05 PM
I ended up trying a pair. They are indeed for a wide foot which was a real shame for me as they were very comfortable and the seamless front worked well for my long 2nd toe. I was told to purchase a size 5.5 which fit my foot but would have ended up too big. I'm normally a uk 4 (eu 36.5).

If you have a wide foot I would recommend these for sure.

ReplySendWatch