Forum: General

Teachers - General
Owner Changing choreography
By godsgiftedchild Comments: 19, member since Wed Dec 31, 2003
On Fri May 19, 2017 07:22 PM

How would you feel if you came into your class to teach and turn on the music for your class to do a dance you have been working on for 3 months and some of the choreography has changed because the studio owner changed it without telling you. You have to learn from your students that the owner changed it. Mind you the performance is 3 weeks away and the owner had seen the choreography a few times and never said she didn't like it or anything. Thoughts?

3 Replies to Owner Changing choreography

re: Owner Changing choreography (karma: 1)
By hummingbird Comments: 10355, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sat May 20, 2017 01:29 PM
I can't lie, I'd be upset but in the end the owner is the boss and most studio contracts state that the choreography is owned by the studio for a certain amount of time after it was created. Have you spoken to her about it?
re: Owner Changing choreography
By kr_WDance Comments: 155, member since Mon Aug 05, 2013
On Sun May 21, 2017 09:09 AM
I've had it done to me and I don't love it.... however, my SO usually just changes something like a pique arabesque into a sauté arabesque or something minor. I've also put it back to the original way a couple times, and other times I've liked her change/suggestion and kept it.

She also always asks me for feedback on her pieces and doesn't mind if I change something on hers, so I think she's really trying to collaborate. Maybe your SO is thinking of it more as a collaboration?

There have also been times I've been out or my coworker has been out and the person subbing was trying to clean the dance.... sometimes the dancers aren't clear on counts or spacing so in an attempt to make it cleaner some things got switched a bit.

Did she change it to make it something easier so the dance would be cleaner? Would she mind if you changed it back if you don't like the new way? I would hope she lets you make the final decision, but I know some studio owners like to control things more than others.
re: Owner Changing choreography
By DancePrincess225 Comments: 6, member since Fri Jun 02, 2017
On Fri Jun 02, 2017 07:28 AM
How exactly did she change it? What age group is it? What is the song? What moves did she change?

ReplySendWatch