Forum: Advice / Support

Support
Should I give up dance or completely commit to it? How do I find a balance between the two?
By Student_Dancer Comments: 1, member since Mon May 22, 2017
On Mon May 22, 2017 03:09 PM

I started ballet when I was about 4, and I was quite good for my age. But, after about 3rd grade, I quit to try other things. 4 years later I finally went back, and it was the best thing I could have done. I gained confidence, was happier, and found myself loving ballet again.

Now by this year (freshman in high school), I have been taking 4 classes a week. I know this is normal for some of you, but for me it is a lot and I have been very stressed. The problem is, I have to take at least 3 classes of ballet a week to do pointe, and I want to do jazz and tap as well (only 1 class).

I want to take RAD exams and I will be in Advanced Foundation next year, so I will need to take even more classes, but all I can think is, what's the point?

I don't think I want to be a professional dancer because I want time to put my family first, but I couldn't imagine leaving dance. If I only do it recreationally, I won't be good enough to be in the same classes as my friends. But, if I just do dance, I won't have the chance to try new things and figure out what I actually want to do when I grow up. Plus, dance is expensive and stressful for my parents, who have to transport me there (I can't drive until next year).

I feel like my family and friends want me to take less dance, but I don't know how to, or if I even want to

Please help! I am open to any thoughts or suggestions. Thank you in advance!

1 Replies to Should I give up dance or completely commit to it? How do I find a balance between the two?

re: Should I give up dance or completely commit to it? How do I find a balance between the two?
By CinderEmma Comments: 135, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Tue May 23, 2017 09:45 AM
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-05-23 09:57:01 spelling and grammar, additional info
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-05-23 09:59:12 spelling and grammar
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-05-23 10:10:31 additonal info
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-05-23 10:15:46 additonal info
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-05-23 10:17:52 additonal info
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-05-23 10:24:20 rewriting a few sentenses
I know exactly how you feel because I felt like this so many times when I was in highschool. It's no secret...ballet takes a LOT of work and time and unfortunately it requires us to make sacrifices.

Let's start by breaking this down into what we know for sure:

1. You only want to dance recreationally--not professionally--so there isn't really any rush to become thy ultimate dancer. The Royal Academy of Ballet exams are geared more for people striving for a dance career, and don't even apply once you are an adult. You're not competing for a slot in a ballet academy so you will have your whole life to dance. On the other hand, if you are going for a hardcore ballet life, then by all means, keep climbing that ladder, my friend, no matter how rough it gets!

2. You love dance. You love your family. As long as you have legs, you will be able to dance. However, you only get one family in life, and sadly, they won't always be around forever. I've been dancing for nineteen years, but my parents both died when I was eight years old.

Student_Dancer wrote:

If I only do it recreationally, I won't be good enough to be in the same classes as my friends.
Does your happiness come from the dance class or from being with your friends in dance class? If it's from being with your friends, you are taking dance for the wrong reason and would be better off hanging out with your friends outside of dance class. If it is for the class itself, you might just have to sacrifice being in the same class as your friends and take a less advanced class.

4. If your goal is to learn pointe, then there will be plenty of other opportunities in the future to learn pointe. If you are interested in dancing recreationally, then your dance life isn't going to be shot down the drain just because you miss out on a few classes or deadlines. Take what you want to take, and leave the grueling, heavy-duty classes for those who plan to have a career in dance. Why stress yourself if you don't need to?

5. I will definately agree that dancing is very expensive. If you cram all of your classes into one tiny period of your life, you will be cramming all of your EXPENSES together into one tiny period of your life. However, if you take your time and learn ballet at a slower, more leisurely pace, then your expenses will be spread out as well and you will have more time to build up paychecks. Plus, you won't have to be driven around as much.

When in doubt, go with what feels right. And even though ballet requires much sacrifice, I don't think family should ever be one of them, in my opinion. On the other hand, your family would want you to be happy and they probably just see that dance is stressing you out more then it is making you happy. Have you talked about your feelings or any of these options with your family or friends? Would they be more likely to help and support you if they knew all the details?

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, for it sounds like you are a most talented dancer if you are going for the Advanced Foundation level of the RAD exams. (I also think you would also really enjoy jazz and tap. I've taken those two classes and they are a lot of fun!)

ReplySendWatch