Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

Ballet Intensives
CPYB Summer intensive
By BeloftheBarre Comments: 2, member since Wed May 24, 2017
On Wed May 24, 2017 07:38 PM

Hey guys! I am new on here, and I know there are a lot of threads about CPYB, most of which I have read, but I really wanted to start a new one and get some fresh advice, and maybe see if anyone on here is going there this year! It might be nice to have a 'friend' that I know from here waiting for me there! Anyway, I am going to CPYB this year and I was wondering if
(1)anyone had any special experiences they wanted to share, or
(2)just general knowledge about the program that might come in handy.
(3)Is there anything you wish you had known before going to the program?
(3)I have heard the teachers are strict, which I love, but are they mean?
(4)Is there any favoritism or harshness? Also, are they pretty good about food?
(5)I am allergic to pretty much everything under the sun, so there are a lot of things I cant eat.
(6) Also, how are the dorms?
(7) Are there a lot of strict rules outside of ballet class, regarding dress code or general conduct/life in the dorms?
(8) Is there anyone going this year? I'd love to talk with you!
Sorry I know that is a lot of questions. Please don't feel obligated to answer all of them, but I appreciate any feedback you have. Thanks guys!

5 Replies to CPYB Summer intensive

re: CPYB Summer intensive
By scoutg Comments: 20, member since Tue Jan 03, 2017
On Thu May 25, 2017 11:43 AM
Hey! I attended the program in 2014!
Here are my experiences:
1) For me, it was very special to have class in the barn. Most of my normal classes were there, and I also took supplemental classes there; if you have the opportunity, I highly recommend visiting the barn.
2) if you're in levels D and up, you wear ribbons on your flat shoes, so make sure you bring an extra pair of those. If you're in a lower level, however, you might not have pointe class everyday, so be prepared for that. For example, Melinda Howe does not teach pointe, so if you have her scheduled as your pointe teacher, she will give you class on flat instead. In addition, there is a lot of pressure to attend optional classes, but if you are injured, TAKE TIME TO REST, otherwise try to go to as many as you can. One of the worst moments from my experience there was when, at an optional evening class, a girl told the teacher she was injured and was reprimanded for not taking care of herself.
3) I wouldn't necessarily say that any of the teachers are straight up mean, but there are some that are stricter than others. In my experience, the teachers are mean to students who aren't focused or working hard in class; it's obviously really important to respect your teachers.
4) Some teachers definitely have favorites, but it doesn't really affect what you can get out of the class.
5) The dining hall is really good about different diets such as allergies, gluten-free, veganism, etc. There are lots of different options and I think you just have to let them know if you're gluten free because they prepare those meals separately. At every meal though, there is a kosher/vegan station, a salad/pasta/rice bar, and a make your own sandwich bar along with the normal options, so I think you will be good.
6) I think the dorms are great! I live in a dorm now and it is not as nice as the dorms at dickinson were.
7) You have to cover up your leotard and you're not supposed to wear warm ups outside, but they're not as strict about it as they said they would be. Like, lots of girls (including myself) do ballet photoshoots outside, which are technically not allowed, but we didn't get in trouble.
If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me!!
By MeaMSBMD Comments: 121, member since Tue May 21, 2013
On Thu May 25, 2017 04:43 PM
Hi ! I have attended the CPYB summer program for three years and will be an RA this summer! <3 Cant wait!
By BeloftheBarre Comments: 2, member since Wed May 24, 2017
On Thu May 25, 2017 05:46 PM
Wow! Maybe I will see you there!!! <3
By so_devine Comments: 5, member since Thu Feb 16, 2017
On Tue May 30, 2017 07:51 AM
I'm going this year and it's my first time going too!
By panso18 Comments: 4, member since Thu Jun 16, 2016
On Sun Jun 04, 2017 08:20 PM
Hi! I went to the summer program of 2016 at CPYB and I'm here to answer some of your questions!

While I enjoyed the program immensely, there are some things I definitely wish I knew beforehand.
There will be A LOT of walking!! And Carlisle is actually really really hot, so if you have all your classes at the Warehouse (which I did) you will be walking around three miles a day! So be prepared for that. For me, it was a little tiring because I had to dance 5 hrs a day as well as walk. Also, the schedules can be repetitive and a bit dull because there are no rehearsals for performances. This didn't bother me, but for some people, it did. 5 weeks is a long time, and you will have 5 classes a day (minus Saturdays and Sundays). So every day, you should anticipate the same schedule. (Teachers may be different.)
Some people didn't enjoy the program because this is a summer intensive that goes really slowly. You will be going backwards in your classes but forwards in your technique, if that makes sense. You will definitely be going much slower than the classes you are taking now. In the first week, almost none of my classes got past adagio in the center. I definitely think it was worth it though, because we went through every little detail and pinpointed every little mistake. Some people felt it was tedious and therefore did not like the program.
Overall, I gained so much from the program. My technique is so much more stronger and it's really easy to see the results when you come back from your studio. It's really, really, tiring, and you'll be worked to the bone. They don't call this ballet boot camp for nothing! But if you're willing to put in the effort, you will definitely gain loads from CPYB.
Sorry I spent too much time on that question! Onwards!

Yes, a few teachers are very strict. But they are still very approachable and in the end, they just want you to improve. If they are stern, it is because they see a mistake you've been doing and want to drill it in you before you leave the 5 weeks. That being said, there are still very sweet teachers and it all depends on who you get. There is a huge faculty at CYPB. One thing I loved is that most teachers have no favoritism!!! Now, I do come from a studio with a lot favoritism, but I can assure you that most of the teachers will grant equal attention to all students. Of course, everyone on earth is a little biased in some ways, but I can promise that the teachers are willing to give you attention if you give them attention and work hard.

The dorms are basic dorms, and they are cozy and mainly have everything you need. The bathrooms are clean, and the rooms are still pretty spacious. There aren't too many strict rules outside of class, except that you need to make sure you know where you are allowed to walk and where you can't (very important, otherwise they will give out infractions) Another thing is that you can't wear warm ups or leotards outside of class without clothing on top. So you can't wear a leotard with pants on, you need to wear something over the leotard like a shirt. And you can't wear trash bag pants outside either; they're pretty strict with that. Finally, this is a given, but you have to wear your lanyard.

I'm sure you will have a blast this year! There are so many nice people and everyone is there for mainly for the same reason, so it'll be fun! The campus is lovely and there is so much time to make great memories and strengthen your technique to the maximum!

ReplySendWatch