Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

Ballet Intensives
Audition Question
By Lb54321 Comments: 24, member since Mon Aug 29, 2016
On Wed May 31, 2017 12:50 PM

Hello,
This is going to be a hard question to answer, but I am going to go ahead and ask it anyway.
The other day I auditioned for a fairly selective preprofessional ballet school in NYC. The teacher and other students were very friendly and I received quite a few corrections...one other girl was auditioning with me and she seemed to be corrected a bit more than I was though.
The school is for those who are 15-21 and is quite small. All the girls were much stronger than I was and had more technique...I am 18 and have been off of regular ballet classes for a year!
The teacher said she would let us know our results via email--but she didn't say when. It was only yesterday I auditioned but I wonder if I should have heard back by now--if I had gotten in that is.
I really hope so as I desperately want to train there--they taught so well--but though my "ballerina body" fit in with the other students my technique and strength did not.
What are anyone's opinions and am I just worrying about it too much?
Thank you

8 Replies to Audition Question

re: Audition Question
On Sat Jun 10, 2017 07:26 AM
UPDATE: I did get into the program...now for fundraising! :)
By Serendipity42Premium member Comments: 2267, member since Sun Aug 16, 2009
On Sun Jun 11, 2017 08:47 AM
A body can be trained. Artistry usually is not trainable if the dancer doesn't already have a little bit of it themselves. Your technique can improve, obviously it was your artistry that got you in!
By MLoucadoux Comments: 11, member since Sun Jun 11, 2017
On Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:33 PM
Woo hoo!!!! Congratulations! I studied at ABT for a long time and remember stressing about my first audition so much! The issue with auditioning is that you can kill yourself stressing about the outcome for weeks afterward. Sometimes it takes a LONG time to hear. My advice? I give myself 24 hours to think about it stress about it, eat chocolate, and try to learn from my mistakes and then I move on. I'm not allowed to think about it any more after that. Then, if I do get in later, it's an awesome surprise! If you're interested in reading more about savvy audition technique and what to do when you're in your summer program, check out my book! www.amazon.com . . . - have an awesome summer!!!!
On Sun Jun 11, 2017 01:44 PM
Thank you for all your encouragement. I am so excited to have gotten in despite my lack of technique...I will check out your book, it sounds very interesting.
Now trying to figure out how to fund my summer intensive as they are so small that they are not yet able to offer financial aid/scholarships and also trying to find inexpensive housing as they do not offer that either. Please let me know if you have any suggestions!
Thank you!
By MLoucadoux Comments: 11, member since Sun Jun 11, 2017
On Tue Jun 13, 2017 09:09 AM
I have a student that did a very successful crowd funding campaign. Try Kickstarter, Go Fund Me, or Seed and Spark. That way your friends and teachers can donate small amounts if they want to support you and the small amounts add up! Be careful with Kickstarter, though, because you have to raise the amount you set otherwise you don't get any dough! The other ones, you just get whatever you raise. You can also make a video of you dancing that explains why you want to go to the program! Good luck!
By CinderEmma Comments: 135, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:16 PM
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-06-13 12:20:15 additonal info
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-06-13 12:22:27 spelling and grammar
Congratulations! :)
It must have been so exciting when you recieved the news that you made it...(and probably very relieved as well!)

One thing I learned through all of my auditions is that if you think about it too much, your mind will start to play tricks on you. Don't let paranoia literally drive you insane during that limbo period between audition and results. My best advice for surviving that limbo? Distraction! Do something completely unrelated to ballet (or whatever it is that your audition was involved with. (i.e. like watch a funny movie or something. Laughter is always great for calming nerves!)
On Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:08 PM
Thank you CinderEmma...it is that limbo time that drives me crazy...those are great ideas on relieving anxiety.

On a different note...I have some recital costumes that were only worn once and a)no longer fit me b.)I do not need them so I am trying to sell them.
Where could I get the best price for selling costumes? I am really trying to make money for my SI!
By CinderEmma Comments: 135, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Thu Jun 15, 2017 07:21 AM
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-06-15 07:24:05 spelling and grammar
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-06-15 07:27:47 Grammar
To be honest, I kind of want to know the same thing. I have SO many costumes that I don't need and not enough space to store them. True, I make a lot of costumes myself, but a lot of those costumes do not fit the standard dress codes of a lot of my classes and recitals.

As a result, I have a lot of "boring" costumes that I've only worn once and have been piling up in my closet ever since. I've tried selling a few on ebay, but I don't know if you would get the most money out of them through ebay.

I do know that there are companies that will sell your stuff for you, but charge a membership fee. However, I would avoid certain ones like the plague, These places I speak of will request a cetain percentage of the income you get from the sale, only that percentage increases through time. They like to call this a "storage fee", but the longer it takes for your costume to sell, the more money THEY make and the less you make. Eventually, your costume may take so long to sell that THEY make ALL the money off YOUR costume and you walk away with nothing. I've never dealt with one of these companies directly but I know they are out there.

Anyways, perhaps you should post your question as a new thread topic?

ReplySendWatch