Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Teachers - Music
Disney themed recital
By DancePrincess225 Comments: 47, member since Fri Jun 02, 2017
On Fri Jun 02, 2017 05:34 AM
Edited by DancePrincess225 (286623) on 2017-06-02 05:34:39
Edited by DancePrincess225 (286623) on 2017-06-02 05:35:00

I really need some help with our year end recital. Our theme is Disney and I know there are lots of songs that I could use but I really need songs to Dance to. I am looking for ballet, tap, jazz, lyrical acro and musical theater songs.

Thank you so much!!!

25 Replies to Disney themed recital

re: Disney themed recital
By CinderEmma Comments: 144, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:51 PM
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-06-04 12:54:03 additonal info
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-06-04 13:01:06 Rewrite
"Beauty and the Beast" for ballet or lyrical? "Mary Poppins" for tap or jazz?

(I can't remember if "Mary Poppins" is Disney or not.)
On Sun Jun 04, 2017 04:29 PM
Thank You!! I am Going to do Beauty and the beast for Preschool Ballet and Supercalifragilisticexpialidocous for Advanced tap.

Anymore Suggestions? I have a lot of numbers.
By hummingbird Comments: 10428, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Mon Jun 05, 2017 07:04 AM
Little Mermaid,
Pocahontas,
Notre Dame,
Lady and the Tramp,
Mickey Mouse,
Cinderella,
Sleeping Beauty and that one used all of the music from the ballet,
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
On Tue Jun 06, 2017 07:42 PM
I am also looking for some Hip Hop Songs.
By jms9t2 Comments: 34, member since Fri Mar 10, 2017
On Tue Jun 06, 2017 08:11 PM
Trashin' the Camp--Tarzan
On Wed Jun 07, 2017 09:58 AM
Thank you jms9t2
On Mon Jun 12, 2017 09:32 AM
Anybody with other suggestions. I really need help!!
By CinderEmma Comments: 144, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:05 AM
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-06-12 11:22:26 additonal info
Frozen?
The Lion King?
Aladdin?
The Jungle Book?
Pinnochio?
Dumbo?
Moana?
The Princess and the Frog?
Mulan?
101 Dalmations?
Finding Nemo?/Dory?
Peter Pan?
Pirates of the Caribbean?
Toy Story?
Bambi?
Alice in Wonderland?
Nightmare Before Christmas?

I don't know how many of these would also work with dance, but if google "Disney Movies" you can get a whole list of every Disney movie ever made. That should help you out tremendously. :)

(I think you should do Cinderella or Frozen! Cinderella and Frozen are my favorites, obviously!)
re: Disney themed recital (karma: 1)
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34900, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Mon Jun 12, 2017 01:06 PM
Are you like...asking us to plan your recital playlist for you? There's billions of Disney songs, and for every Disney song, there's 15 people that have covered it (serious, the "We Love Disney" and "Jazz Loves Disney" CDs are fantastc...). It shouldn't really be this tricky.
On Tue Jun 13, 2017 06:04 AM
Thank you!! You are all so helpful
By MLoucadoux Comments: 11, member since Sun Jun 11, 2017
On Tue Jun 13, 2017 09:04 AM
"I wanna be like you" from The Jungle Book is great for young folks.
"Beyond My Wildest Dreams" from Little Mermaid is good as well!
By MLoucadoux Comments: 11, member since Sun Jun 11, 2017
On Sun Jun 18, 2017 03:59 PM
Oh! And it's always great to start the show (perhaps pre show music before the lights go up) with When You Wish Upon A Star!

Have a great show!
On Mon Jun 19, 2017 08:59 AM
Thank you Soooo Much
On Sat Jun 24, 2017 08:42 AM
Help!!
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6841, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Sun Jun 25, 2017 01:17 PM
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2017-06-25 13:39:09 typo
You sound a bit desperate, and I can't help but wonder why?! Many, MANY, Disney cd's are out there, including 3 from the NOW collection. Additionally, there are several Broadways shows and theme parks FULL of Dancing to Disney.

I know it seems a bit overwhelming when there are so many choices... perhaps this is why you seem panicky. So..... maybe we could be a bit more help if you told us exactly what you need... ages, dance forms, length of your show, and how many numbers you are looking for.

Basically, when I plan a show, I first consider the abilities of the students. A recital is literally, an opportunity to RECITE the skills learned this year. The second consideration, has to be holding the attention of the audience. To this end, I try to establish a certain "pace". I start off with a production number of some sort for the opening. Anything that reflects a Busby Berkeley type kaleidoscopic blocking works well. Think of the "Be Our Guest" scene from Beauty and the Beast. Not too much technical ability required, but the geometric formations and the large number of dancers is always audience pleasing. I then go over the numbers of classes I need to accommodate an try to arrange the selections so there is a variety of fast, slow, dramatic, whimsical, and so on...alternating. I wouldn't use Colors of the Wind, I See the Light, and Let It Go, all in a row, even if the kids love them and you have 3 lyrical classes. I would switch it up with numbers like Trashin' the Camp and Step In Time, or March of the Cards (all very easy to tap to) or Pirates of the Caribbean or One Jump (jazz)and slow things down with ballet numbers or choose a petite allegro for ballet to balance it. There are soooo many Disney tunes set to ballet music...almost too many to list. DO NOT use Disney songs with words for ballet...try to keep the form pure, if you can. Songs like Hawaiian Roller Coaster and Under the Sea are very versatile. Zippity Do Da is a favorite.

Don't overlook the really old lesser known Disney selections. Years ago we had beautiful lavender costumes so I choose an instrumental of Lavender Blue (Dilly, Dilly),
a song from the 1948 Disney film So Dear to My Heart. I also use very old songs from the 1955 original Mickey Mouse Club. You tube has many... I've used The Talent Round Up as an opening as well as The Tripple R Song when we needed Cowboys. There are many, many, MANY to choose from although it takes a bit of work to hunt up just the right song.

The older Disney cartoons often use classical music as their themes...Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, etc. Alice in Wonderland has many, MANY songs that are easy to dance to.

Please let us know more specifically what you need... perhaps with more information we can be more helpful.

Keep On Dancing*
By netmum Comments: 478, member since Sun Jul 02, 2006
On Thu Jun 29, 2017 04:34 AM
My daughter was in a professional panto (Its a UK Christmas thing) and my absolute favourite number in the entire show was a ballet to Go the Distance from Hercules.

I didn't see it but a ballet teacher I know did a ballet number to Frozen but it was a piano/instrum,ental version. It might hve been the Piano Guys but I couldn't swear to that. People who saw it said it was beautiful.

Comment #10246826 deleted

On Fri Jul 28, 2017 05:26 AM
Help!!!
By netmum Comments: 478, member since Sun Jul 02, 2006
On Tue Aug 01, 2017 09:28 AM
I once had what I thought was a great idea which was to use the Disneyland Paris Disney Parade music in our recital. (I'd picked up a CD on a visit there) The dance teacher who was working for me at the time chose instead to use a different non Disney piece but made it Alice themed and I was OK with that.
But a few years later I saw another teacher use the very same music I'd wanted to use and it worked really well.

And I never got my CD back when that teacher left my school!
On Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:08 PM
I am a little short on hip hop, contemporary, jazz and ballet songs
On Wed Aug 16, 2017 06:06 PM
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2017-08-16 18:07:37 typo
I can't be much help with hip hop...sorry....

For Contemporary, we have had great response to Colors of the Wind, and Just Around the River Bend,from Pocahontas, Reflection from Mulan, Part of Your World from The Little Mermaid,Can You Feel the Love Tonight from The Lion King, and This Is Where I Belong from Spirit.

Jazz...so many... There is a Reggae Club cd that has many tunes with a Reggae beat. We've done at least half of them with success. Also, Step In Time from Mary Poppins (also is good for tap), Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride from Lilo and Stitch, One Step from Aladdin, A Pirates' Life for Me from Pirates of the Caribbean (which is long but can be cut) which also lends itself to acro tricks. We're Painting the Roses Red from Alice In Wonderland, Everybody Wants to Be A Cat and O'Mally The Alley Cat, from The Aristocats.

Lavender Blue is a good ballet tune that is not overdone and is found on many ballet class cds. It was actually used in a 1939 Disney Film, So Dear To My Heart. When You Wish Upon a Star, from Pinocchio is also available in many instrumental covers. I would NOT use lyrics in the ballet numbers. There are many cds that are exclusively instrumental Disney Tunes.

How many numbers do you need?

Keep On Dancing*
By MissTalia Comments: 989, member since Mon Jul 26, 2004
On Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:33 PM
We did Disney and the options are pretty vast. Hmmm, my favorites:
Enchanted Suite
Fantasia Symphony
Hit me up from happy feet is so cute for a beginner level jazz
Moana has a good lyrical song...how far I'll go?
Musical theater lets see....the lion king.
Cars has a few great songs for tap as well....life is a highway is my favorite.
On Sat Sep 02, 2017 08:00 AM
Thank You all for your suggestions, please keep them coming!
On Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:22 AM
Theresa wrote:

Are you like...asking us to plan your recital playlist for you? There's billions of Disney songs, and for every Disney song, there's 15 people that have covered it (serious, the "We Love Disney" and "Jazz Loves Disney" CDs are fantastc...). It shouldn't really be this tricky.

DancePrincess225

It would be helpful to all of us if, ...perhaps,... maybe, ...if you have the time,... you would give a bit of feedback regarding your progress. We have been offering suggestions for three months and frankly, if we are going to continue to participate in these plans, it would be nice to have a clue as to how things are shaping up.

Throw us a bone?

Keep On Dancing*
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch