Forum: Ask a Studio Owner

Ask a Studio Owner
How do you all communicate with sound booth at recital??
By ALynnB Comments: 1, member since Wed Jul 27, 2016
On Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:09 AM

Our first recital (we just opened in the fall) is coming up next weekend! The space we rented out is really great, but they don't have a built in communication system from the sound booth to back stage. I am looking for recommendations on what others generally use at their recitals. I have been looking at 2 way duplex walkie talkies to purchase, or telecom wired systems to rent (way too expensive to buy right now). Does anyone have any suggestions???

Thanks!

7 Replies to How do you all communicate with sound booth at recital??

re: How do you all communicate with sound booth at recital??
By Evanstar Comments: 100, member since Wed Jan 04, 2006
On Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:23 PM
I purchased and used walkie talkies for a venue once that did not have headsets to communicate with the booth. They worked perfectly fine. Our current venue is having some difficulty with their headsets so I am bringing my walkie talkies this year just in case the headsets go out as a back up.
By stylizedbeauti09member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1095, member since Thu Jul 13, 2006
On Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:14 AM
depending on the cell service at the school, as some schools cut service to stop kids from being on phones all day, we've downloaded a walkie app so that we could comminucate that way.

I've also found that if you work with a school and you enjoy your time there you just have to drop a hint that that would be a great addition to your rental and how other studios would love it as well and they fix the issue for the next year!

Good luck with your first show :)
By hummingbird Comments: 10412, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Fri Jun 09, 2017 04:43 PM
We also used a walkie talkie app when we used a theatre with no head sets available.
By stargaze Comments: 869, member since Fri May 15, 2009
On Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:43 PM
I purchased walkie talkies/headsets years ago to communicate with FOH and tech. They have always worked well! This year, luckily, our rental space has updated many aspects of the venue...lighting, sound and a brand new communication system!! So awesome. Buy the headsets...got mine at Walmart for $60 6 years ago.
By Chepyl Comments: 2346, member since Mon May 03, 2004
On Sat Jun 17, 2017 01:59 PM
We have used a theater for 9 years that has no clearcom system. It's hard, but we don't really communicate. I am very careful about quick changes. I make sure they can make all costume changes in 1 song, but try to give them 3.

I make a very detailed cue sheet that tells the booth how many kids should be onstage before they start the song. If there is an emergency, I call.

That being said....we are looking into buying our own system this next year.
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6815, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Wed Jul 05, 2017 09:49 AM
Sorry this reply is late, but on the change that it might matter later on....

We use 5 Walkie Talkies. One each on stage left and right, one in each dressing room and one in the sound booth. We also make sure everyone has their cell phones available if for some reason someone is not in any of those locations.

Keep On Dancing*
By JPAPremium member Comments: 18, member since Tue Aug 01, 2006
On Mon Jul 31, 2017 02:21 PM
I order clear com sets about (7) and a mic. My cost with friends is only about $130 Show director, stage doors , director in dressing rooms, Sound , Lighting, and person in the hallway with my kids and curtains all have them. Once I get to the show my team takes over.

ReplySendWatch