Forum: Ask a Studio Owner

Ask a Studio Owner
Trophy return
By misspointe Comments: 87, member since Sat Jul 28, 2012
On Sat Jun 10, 2017 05:07 AM

I have a question regarding a teen competition student . This is our second year that we have competed. At this time we ask all trophies,
Including solo trophys to be returned following the competitions.This is our school policy. All students have done this except this one student. I asked her Several times, and we emailed the mother, who basically told us they would not return the trophy, because she earned it and they paid a lot of money to compete.
At this point this is now principal for me in wanting this trophy back.All of our students returned theirs and know she did not.
Next year we updated our school policy to allow all solos to keep their trophies. As mentioned we are new and starting out this is the only reason we want them returned.
Finally I have given this student a scholarship every year, and this past year she has created more problems for me and recently sent my daughter
a text with some negative content. Her mom also said my daughter will always have every trophy she won because they are at the studio. She also said that she will listen to my reasoning with an open-mind and will make a decision based on what I have to say on this. Sounds like she is the owner.
Final thought she owes a balance and we have her recital costumes.
Not sure how to handle this.

5 Replies to Trophy return

re: Trophy return
By jms9t2 Comments: 29, member since Fri Mar 10, 2017
On Sat Jun 10, 2017 09:22 PM
Based on what you have said, it sounds like this family is feeling some entitlement overall. Is there a reason she has been given a scholarship every year? She said that she will listen to your reasoning with an open mind. What is your reasoning for wanting the solo trophies? Ultimately, I agree with you that it sounds like she is not going to return the trophy. Could you return all the solo trophies to the other students? Or to those who want them? I would bet some students would like the idea of being the bigger person and leaving theirs at the studio, especially if they're on display.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Mon Jun 12, 2017 01:05 PM
Our policy on trophies is that if the number of trophies can be evenly divided by the number of people in the act (so, if a duo wins two trophies, for example), they can keep them. So yes, she did a lot of work, and paid the competition a lot of money for those trophies...but so did the rest of your students, no? Is her money somehow worth more?

Of course not. Well, to her it is.

If you're such a new studio that you're still wanting to keep the trophies (trust, after a while, you'll have so many you'll practically be begging to give them away...they gather up fast), then how and why are you giving this girl a scholarship? She's causing you this much drama, and COSTING YOU MONEY TO DO IT!! Get rid! Good riddance to bad rubbish, girl!
By Sappersis Comments: 131, member since Sun Sep 26, 2010
On Thu Jun 15, 2017 07:55 AM
My advice for the future is to collect the memories and not the trophies. Take a group photo with all the dancers and the trophies they have collected over the season then hang that in your studio instead of the trophies themselves. Trust me... your going to get really tired of dusting them and they will begin to add up quickly. I draw names and pass them out at the end of each season. We make a big banquet out of it and it doesn't cost me anything but it is a great way to end the season.

That being said this parent most certainly doesn't deserve a scholarship!
By ilainenPremium member Comments: 2, member since Thu Jan 02, 2014
On Wed Aug 09, 2017 08:55 AM
What about gift certificates to competitions? For solos, duo and trios? We had a dancer leave and go to another studio and they want their certificate. Our thought is that she danced for our studio and it belongs to us. Advice?
By DancePrincess225 Comments: 39, member since Fri Jun 02, 2017
On Thu Aug 17, 2017 07:48 PM
I absolutely agree with you, it is your studio, and she was representing your team. You choreographed and taught the number. You should keep the certificate. What i usually do is if a soloist wins the certificate it goes to her solo next year.

Good luck

ReplySendWatch