Forum: Irish / Irish - Adult Dancers

Irish - Adult Dancers
A real solo dress, help is needed
By ep_dance Comments: 154, member since Tue Aug 09, 2011
On Sun Jun 11, 2017 08:16 AM

Hello everyone.

I am really thinking about starting the journey of getting myself a solodress. Since I am a adult i guess this will be my one and only dress so choice should be taken carfully.
For those of you who already got themself a solo, could you help me by answering a few questions?
- where did you get your dress from (I am based in Mainland Europe)
- how much did you pay (I need to start saving money ;)
- what ideas did you bring into the conversation with the dressmaker?
- how did you choose your colors?
- what kind of style did you choose (and why)

I know I need a dress that would make me feel confident and that would make me look to chunky (as I am already a very chunky lady ;)
I don´t want the just "glimmer" fabric and it has to fit to those stupid black tights. I was thinking I might have black as a main color and then maybe emerald green and blue or more red and orange.....

I am getting really excited about this idea but I don´t know where to start from. I started collecting pictures of dresses I like for some reasons but that´s about it.

So, help would be appriciated :)

Thanks a lot!

4 Replies to A real solo dress, help is needed

re: A real solo dress, help is needed
By rosalinde Comments: 1973, member since Fri Jun 19, 2009
On Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:50 AM
Way back in November 2009 I ordered my first professionally made solo at the age of 32, knowing it would be my first and last BNDM dress. I'm in the Netherlands so you could have been me some 8 years apart ;)
Anyway, I'm a CRN dancer so also had to comply with the rule of compulsary black tights.
At the time I was completely in love with Elevation dresses so decided to just go for it. I knew one of their dresses would cost me around €1500, but I had saved up for such prices.
I took a deep breath and filled in the form on their site and paid the deposit. They then contacted me, asking me all kinds of questions about what colours I preferred and three of their dresses that I liked.
With the tights in mind, I said I wanted black, white, and turquoise. After having sent them the pictures of myself they requested, they suggested burgundy, white and gold; with them being the pros I went with it - and I'm glad I did! My dress ended up looking better with socks, but black tights go with any dress.
The people at Elevation were good with my design requests (solid colour bodice instead of corset style, Celtic-style embroidery because I'm an adult CRN dancer etc). The only part I never really liked was the cape, but I seem to be the only one, as everyone else seems to love it ;)
They asked me quite a lot of questions and I had as much input in the design as I wanted - which meant in my case that I left rather a lot to them. I loved their style so I decided to trust them, and it worked out great. But that's just me. ;)
The dress is almost 8 years old now, and though old-fashioned by now, the structure is still very sturdy and makes me look very nice & I seem to drop a couple of sizes when I have it on because it's so well-fitted!

I'm sure you can request velvet and other non-glitter fabrics, and add rhinestones yourself (I stoned my dress myself, saving on the cost of the dress, and it was great fun too!), so that eliminates the worry about the glimmer.

As for which dressmaker to go for - if you haven't done so already, follow them on Facebook or Instagram and see which one you particularly like. Every dressmaker has their signature style that becomes apparent after a while, even if the trends make them look alike at first. If I had to order a dress today it might no longer be Elevation, but that's just my style which has evolved.

It is a fabulous and nerve-wracking experience, but I'm still so glad I did it - us adults deserve awesome solos too! :D
By ep_dance Comments: 154, member since Tue Aug 09, 2011
On Mon Jun 12, 2017 03:48 AM
Thank you Rosaline for your reply. I surfed the net and found some dresses that I really loved (and some of them were from the same dressmaker... of course an american company :( but oh well, it is just the beginning. I´ll have to save up the money and hit my target weight first (no pain no gain... right). Let´s see how I get on from here, money first I suppose. But you are right, we adultd too deserve nice dresses :)

cheers
Eva
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Mon Jun 12, 2017 01:15 PM
RE: finding a dressmaker closer to you. Check out Sky Dance Dresses. Lena is in Ukraine and makes gorgeous solos. www.facebook.com . . .
By StrattonBlack Comments: 59, member since Mon Apr 22, 2013
On Tue Jun 13, 2017 01:20 PM
^^^ This. We used SkyDance in Mainland Europe and were thrilled with our dress. Elena is very attentive to detail and makes gorgeous dresses.

ReplySendWatch