Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Pointe - General
What to do with a dead toenail?
By Alissa_B Comments: 2, member since Sun Jun 11, 2017
On Sun Jun 11, 2017 04:30 PM

A couple months ago, I had taken off my pointe shoes when my toenail started to turn purple/blue. My mom's friend, who was a professional dancer said it would fall off. After a couple days, the pain went away and I danced normally again. But, during pointe class, I could feel something was wrong and when I took off my shoe my toe was all red and it really hurt. So now the nail is lifting off of the nail bed and I haven't been on pointe in 2 1/2 weeks. My recital is in 6 days. I trimmed the nail as far as I could, and I've been using Nexcare foam tape. Is there anything else I could do to keep it from coming off while dancing?

4 Replies to What to do with a dead toenail?

re: What to do with a dead toenail?
By Serendipity42Premium member Comments: 2267, member since Sun Aug 16, 2009
On Wed Jun 14, 2017 03:42 AM
Sometimes, having it come off is the best thing. Keep it wrapped regardless. I found when the nail finally came off, my toe was very much better!
By Serendipity42Premium member Comments: 2267, member since Sun Aug 16, 2009
On Wed Jun 14, 2017 03:43 AM
Sometimes, having it come off is the best thing. Keep it wrapped regardless. I found when the nail finally came off, my toe was very much better!
By hazelladykatie Comments: 4, member since Mon Jul 10, 2017
On Mon Jul 10, 2017 06:29 PM
I agree, much better to trim it and wait. Be careful when the new nail grows back - make sure your shoes fit properly so you can avoid an ingrown toenail. Epsom salt baths have saved my toes!
By MaiaRose Comments: 13, member since Fri Jul 03, 2015
On Wed Jul 12, 2017 08:01 AM
I personally have had several toenails fall off due to ill-fitting shoes (never again... I was still fairly new to pointe work at the time). You did the right thing by trimming it down, and wrapping with foam tape was the best solution I found. If you don't take baths regularly, try soaking your feet every day to keep the delicate skin clean and infection free. It will also help when it comes time for the nail to come off completely and result in less pulling/pain.

ReplySendWatch