Forum: Ask a Studio Owner

Ask a Studio Owner
Looking for advice/guidance...transitioning to SO
By kmjruth Comments: 46, member since Thu May 26, 2005
On Wed Jun 28, 2017 08:27 AM

Morning,

So I've worked at with my SO for over 20-years. We are now at the point where she is ready to retire and I've agreed/shown interest in taking over.

I'm looking for advice on how our transition year should be. She's asking what do I want to be paid, and what do I want to handle...

I'm currently lead instructor/asst. to director. I suggested for the coming year me = director or artistic director and she = owner or executive director.

Could really use some advice and guidance here. I want to be confident in my conversations with her and give her the confidence that I know what I'm doing. Aside from putting my ideas on paper...what else can I/should I be doing. Also, do we announce this to the other staff now, or do we wait to mid-year or end of year?

Thanks.

1 Replies to Looking for advice/guidance...transitioning to SO

re: Looking for advice/guidance...transitioning to SO
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Wed Jul 12, 2017 06:56 PM
Once it's firm and on paper, tell the staff. REQUIRE their social media silence on the matter. There might be a few that defect - either because of disagreements with you, or because they anticipate chaos and don't want to be a part of it, or even disappointment that they weren't offered the job. That's fine, and none of it has anything to do with you, really. But you don't want to jip them out of the opportunity to find a new job before the year starts, either.

ReplySendWatch