Forum: Ask a Teacher

Choreography Leeson Plan Book
By MsD5678
On Thu Jun 29, 2017 05:39 PM

Hello!
How do you organize your choreography notes? I think I want to use a lesson plan book this year but I'm not sure how. Thank you!!

6 Replies to Choreography Leeson Plan Book

re: Choreography Leeson Plan Book
By hummingbird
On Fri Jun 30, 2017 02:09 PM
I just use a note book, I make sure I leave a certain amount of space for each dance and the first page is always a music map, then I get straight into my notes. I primarily choreograph ballet now so there aren't too many of my stick drawings to try to show what the movements are because most of th steps I use have names.
By ChristinePremium member
On Wed Jul 05, 2017 09:30 AM
It depends on the piece.

For the "littles", I often print out the lyrics of the song (double spaced) and write the steps, port de bras, gestures, etc, right next to the lyrics.

For ballet pieces, and more advanced tap and jazz, I write them line by line according to counts, and often make notations as to the "count" on the cd. For example, Prep 4th @ 2:25.....

For production numbers, they often look like the notes of a crazy person! Diagrams of formations, color coded to costumes or some other system that makes sense to me at the time.

When I first work a piece, I use plain white paper on a clip board as most often I flip back and forth between several sheets of notes. I always copy them over at night to re-enforce what ever I wrote because sometimes I look at my notes a week later and don't know what the heck I wrote! (This is just the way I learn.) I too use a notebook. It keeps everything in the same place and make it easier to reference later on.

Good luck.

Keep On Dancing*
By Panda_Bear
On Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:19 PM
I video my choreography on my phone or iPad at the end of each class. That way we can see what has changed or been added each week.
By xoErinnn94
On Fri Jul 07, 2017 08:32 AM
I use a 1/2 inch binder with loose leaf paper. I like it because I can keep all my class notes/attendance/choreography in the same place. I use binder dividers to separate each class. I've tried notebooks but I prefer the binder because I never have to worry about running out of space because I can just add more paper. I only teach a few classes so 1 binder works for me but if you teach a bunch I think having a separate binder for each day of the week would work well. They also sell mini binders and paper if you don't want to carry around a full sized binder.

As for documenting my choreography I have developed a style of my own, I think everyone does it a little differently so you just have to find what works for you. I typically will write by counts of 8 (1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8) adding &'s etc for accents. Under the counts I write the lyrics that fall in that count. Then under that I write the choreo line by line for each move. So for example it might look like this.

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8
"sadjiajsafjlslfja"
1-2 Step (L) Dig (R)
3-4 Step (R) Dig (L)
5 & 6 Pas De Bourree (R)
7 & 8 Pas De Bourree (L)
By MichaelLevy
On Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:04 PM
Edited by MichaelLevy (348809) on 2020-08-21 12:05:19
Edited by MichaelLevy (348809) on 2020-08-21 12:06:16
Yes, I always make some plan for the lesson. I think it's very convenient. I planned everything I do. It's an interesting fact about me, and the reason for my friends' jokes. I write for the Graduateway essay platform, so I must plan my day. I know that graduateway.com . . . is popular among students, so I should be concentrate on my work. The quality of content is very important for me.
By merllis
On Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:34 PM
A calendar is an essential tool for any small business owner, freelancer, self-employed. A well-written calendar is needed to know where you should be and what you should be doing. If you are having a busy day, then there is a high probability that you will forget when you have a choreography lesson. And if you've created a training calendar, then don't miss an important event. You can use the java programming assignment help for this. Good luck.

ReplySendWatch