Forum: Ballet / Costumes

Costumes
Attack of the Glitter (again)
By CinderEmma Comments: 135, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:46 AM

I just recieved recieved two more ballet costumes from Revolution (Royal Dream and Song of the Lark), and they are so beautiful. But I did not know they would have so much glitter on them. The glitter is EVERYWHERE!

I've tried techniques I learned from a previous post I made where I had trouble with a dress that had too much glitter. I can't remember for sure, but I think I ended up having to take that dress back. But returning these two dresses are completely out of the question. I've tried hairspray, shaking them out, and vacuuming. But the glitter is like a contagion. It even followed me to work!

If anybody has had the Royal Dream or Song of the Lark costumes from Revolution, how did you deal with all of that glitter? I also really appreciate any further techniques or secrets to glitter control that anyone else may have. Thank you.

5 Replies to Attack of the Glitter (again)

re: Attack of the Glitter (again) (karma: 1)
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6815, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:41 PM
Years ago someone here on DDN wrote, "Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies." Yup!

I have found eventually it stops shedding. Hanging the costumes out on a clothes line on a breezy day helps shake a great deal of the excess out. It also makes the grass look like a fairy garden.

Hugs... this is just part of the territory, I'm afraid.

xoxo

Keep On Dancing*
re: Attack of the Glitter (again)
By jms9t2 Comments: 29, member since Fri Mar 10, 2017
On Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:53 PM
The glitter on costumes these days is out of control! Next year I'm going to make sure I read descriptions carefully and try to order zero glitter costumes.
By CinderEmma Comments: 135, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:24 AM
Christine wrote:

Hanging the costumes out on a clothes line on a breezy day helps shake a great deal of the excess out. It also makes the grass look like a fairy garden.

But wouldn't that kill the lawn?
By hummingbird Comments: 10412, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:37 AM
Edited by hummingbird (128773) on 2017-07-02 11:37:35
It would need a lot of glitter to kill a lawn. :)

I always look on the positive side when it comes to shedding costumes. I'll always know where my dancers are, just follow the line of glitter/sequins/fringing and you'll find them at the end of it.
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6815, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Wed Jul 05, 2017 08:58 AM
CinderEmma wrote:

Christine wrote:

Hanging the costumes out on a clothes line on a breezy day helps shake a great deal of the excess out. It also makes the grass look like a fairy garden.

But wouldn't that kill the lawn?

Not in my experience. Then again, I've only done 10 or 12 at a time ... Also, I live in the mountains and it tends to be cool and breezy so perhaps geography is on my side. ;)

Keep On Dancing*

ReplySendWatch